Officials Assess Asia’s Market Competition Outlook
Competition commissioners and regulators from East and Southeast Asia discussed market competition challenges in Asia, including COVID-19 impacts, geopolitical uncertainties, and digital disruption, at the 17th East Asia Top Officials’ Meeting in Competition Policy (EATOP) and 14th East Asia Conference on Competition Policy (EAC) on 28-29 September in Manila. They also explored policy strategies for enhancing regulators’ capacity to implement effective regulatory frameworks. International and national cooperation among authorities and experts were described as key to improving government capacity building programs and harmonizing competition frameworks.
APEC’s Rebecca Sta Maria Discusses Regional Cooperation to Revive Shock-Affected Supply Chains
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Secretariat Executive Director Rebecca Sta Maria explained APEC efforts to rebuild supply chains disrupted by COVID-19 and rising global instability during an ADBI Featured Speaker Webinar on 29 September. She detailed APEC member economies’ priorities during Thailand’s host year that will culminate with the APEC leaders’ meeting on 18-19 November in Bangkok, including trade and investment facilitation; reconnecting the region via safe, seamless travel, health investment, and digitalization; and promoting inclusive and sustainable growth. She also previewed the United States’ role as 2023 APEC host and urged researchers to deliver timely and targeted recommendations for policy makers. View the webinar recording
ADBI-ADB Promote Elderly Care System Innovation to Mitigate Rapid Population Aging in Asia
Elderly welfare system development to address changing care needs and escalating socioeconomic costs due to rapid population aging in Asia was the focus of an ADBI-Asian Development Bank (ADB) virtual forum on 26-28 September. Drawing upon regional case studies, such as an ADB project in Yichang, People's Republic of China, researchers discussed effective planning, design, and implementation of elderly welfare programs that divert from traditional familial care practices. They also highlighted keys to maximizing the elderly’s contribution to sustainable economic growth while enabling them to enjoy long and healthy lives.
Minister, Officials Explore Sustainable Ocean and Coastal Development Keys
Palau Agriculture, Fisheries, and Environment Minister Steven Victor, senior officials from coastal and small island developing countries, and researchers examined policy and financing imperatives for promoting sustainable ocean and coastal development during an ADBI session on 26 September, held as part of the Asian Development Bank's 2022 Annual Meeting. The policy dialogue drew upon insights from the new ADBI Press book Blue Economy and Blue Finance: Towards Sustainable Development and Ocean Governance, highlighted in a preceding author panel discussion. They detailed keys to achieving healthy oceans and safeguarding people’s livelihoods from climate risks, overfishing, and environmental damage.
- Fintech’s pandemic-related boost to financial inclusion, MSME resilience, and women’s empowerment in Asia
- Land value capture mechanism provides opportunity for sustainable urbanization in developing Asia
- Servitization of digital technologies to advance health inclusion in developing countries
- Prioritizing the fight against cancer in Asia in a post-COVID-19 world
- What can the quality of institutions tell us about macrofinancial resilience in Asia?
- Ocean governance and blue finance for revitalizing the blue economy
No opportunities at this time. Please check again soon.
Policy Messages for Planning and Implementing High-Speed Rail in Asia
High-speed rail’s capacity to accelerate regional development is driven by the non-linear, dynamic, technical, and social interactions in a high-speed rail system.
Informal Services in Asian Cities: Lessons for Urban Planning and Management from the COVID-19 Pandemic
People in the urban informal sector have suffered disproportionately during the COVID-19 pandemic and face a highly uncertain future.
- Finance Solutions for Achieving City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation
- Policy Messages for Planning and Implementing High-Speed Rail in Asia
- ADBI Supports G20 Recovery Policy Development as Global Challenges Mount
- Informal Services in Asian Cities: Lessons for Urban Planning and Management from the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Johns Hopkins University’s Cinnamon Dornsife on ADBI’s 25th Anniversary
- India Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba on ADBI’s 25th Anniversary
- Elcano Royal Institute’s Enrique Feás on ADBI’s 25th Anniversary
- Nobel Laureate Michael Kremer on closing the digital rural and agricultural development divide
- How 2022 G20 president and 2023 ASEAN chair Indonesia could shape energy transition cooperation
- What Asia tells us about government’s role in fueling private renewable energy investment
- How the G20’s succession of developing country presidencies could help re-shape the global economy
- T7 and its support for G7-Global South cooperation explained
- Central bank governor & finance secretary-designate on sustaining the Philippines' recovery momentum