Regulators and researchers explored innovative governance reforms for promoting sustainable, digitally-based post-COVID-19 recovery in Asia during a virtual summit on 20 October, co-organized by ADBI, the Financial Services Authority of Indonesia, and South East Asian Central Banks Research and Training Center. They urged a holistic, adaptive, and visionary approach to leadership and policymaking to minimize the economic and financial risks of accelerating digitization amid the pandemic. They also highlighted the importance of knowledge and skills development to mitigate the digital divide, ease the transition to new business models, and strengthen social protections.
Experts presented new research on the spillover effects of transportation projects on economies, the environment, and societies during a week-long ADBI-Chubu University virtual conference that concluded on 16 October. They discussed approaches to transport infrastructure development that can enhance quality of life and how greater quality transport could boost sustainable development, with a focus on high-speed rail (HSR) growth. They also examined transport sector pandemic responses in Asia and the Pacific and ways to mitigate COVID-19’s impacts on mobility and supply chains. An ADBI policy note on deriving policies from land use-transport interactions for sustainable HSR development in the region was highlighted during the closing session.
Experts assessed the economic impacts of demographic change in Asia and Europe and effective policy responses during a ADBI-Fulbright University Viet Nam virtual workshop on 13-15 October. ADBI Deputy Dean Chul Ju Kim described how COVID-19 shocks are amplifying demographic transition challenges and encouraged coordinated policy actions to expand social protections in both young and aging societies. Policy makers and researchers exchanged country case studies, lessons learned, and recommendations to improve aging population safeguards. They emphasized prudently designed fiscal and labor market policies to meet sustainability and inclusion needs.
Dean Tetsushi Sonobe reaffirmed ADBI’s commitment to leading policy experience and best practice-sharing that he said is critical to Asia’s COVID-19 pandemic recovery during the 2020 Virtual Asia-Pacific Think Tank Summit on 13 October. He discussed COVID-19’s impacts on the region’s economies, citing examples in Japan and the Pacific islands, and the importance of harnessing structural changes accelerated by the pandemic to support resilient and inclusive growth. This includes building capacity for efficient public administration and resource allocation, as well as digital skills training urgently needed to boost affected communities, he concluded.
- COVID-19 reminds us to prioritize “water supply, sanitation, and hygiene” (WASH) to reduce child mortality
- Diversification of solar PV suppliers for sustainable energy during the COVID-19 crisis
- Stepping up civil service reforms in Myanmar
- The impacts of COVID-19 on financial stability and regional financial safety nets in ASEAN
- Enhancing agriculture potential in developing countries during the COVID-19 crisis
- COVID-19 hitting migration and remittances hard in developing Asia
Climate Change and Sovereign Risk
Governments must climate-proof their economies and public finances or potentially face an ever-worsening spiral of climate vulnerability and unsustainable debt burdens.
Energy Insecurity in Asia: Challenges, Solutions, and Renewable Energy
Relying on fewer energy resources, especially fossil fuels, will enhance energy insecurity for resource-poor economies.
Growing Central Bank Challenges in the World and Japan: Low Inflation, Monetary Policy, and Digital Currency
Central banks are facing a range of growing challenges that have arisen from recent trends in aging populations, low productivity, and new technology and innovation.
- Introducing ADBI E-Learning’s Course on Demographic Transition and its Impacts
- Introducing the Book Growing Central Bank Challenges in the World and Japan: Low Inflation, Monetary Policy, and Digital Currency
- Introducing the Book Environmental, Social, and Governance Investment: Opportunities and Risks for Asia
- Introducing ADBI E-Learning’s Course on Powering Green Investments
- ADBI-Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Renew Sanitation Partnership
- ADBI Dean Sonobe on Enabling Asia’s COVID-19 Recovery
- What Asia can do to strengthen safeguards for its COVID-19 vulnerable aging societies
- Surveys spotlight pandemic impacts and pathways for recovery in developing Asia
- How Asia can finally deliver sustainable sanitation for all
- As pandemic bonds hit the market, what can Asia do to ensure its green bond growth potential?
- Japan’s wastewater lessons in the face of shocks provide timely sanitation solutions for Asia
- The new and unexpected ways Mobility as a Service systems could affect Asia’s cities