ADB Vice President Bambang Susantono launched Leveraging Services for Development: Prospects and Policies at the Global Review of Aid for Trade at the WTO in Geneva on 3 July 2019. This new ADBI-ADB book examines how technology and globalization are transforming the fast-rising services economy as well as structural adjustments needed to ensure its capacity to drive sustainable development. Services’ increasing tradability under WTO rules and trade agreements and importance to growth, jobs, income levels, and quality of life make this a must read for policy makers and researchers alike.
ADBI and ADB held a tax and digitalization workshop for regional officials in Tokyo on 2-4 July 2019, in collaboration with the OECD and Japan’s Ministry of Finance. The event provided guidance on addressing emerging tax challenges brought by digitalization and adopting proposed new international rules and standards for corporate and consumption taxes. Focuses included base erosion and profit shifting, VAT/GST on digital trade, and e-government strategies.
Mongolia Authority of Fair Competition and Consumer Protection Chair Lkhagva Byambasuren, Japan Fair Trade Commissioner Takashi Yamamoto, and ADBI Deputy Dean Chul Ju Kim helped mobilize efforts to reduce unfair business practices during co-hosted dialogues on competition law and policy in Ulaanbaatar on 9-10 July. The focus was on tackling lingering design and enforcement barriers crucial to small business growth and economic development.
This new book is the first to explain how to revive stalled renewable energy and efficiency investment needed to implement the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. It examines the latest game-changing measures ranging from green bonds, carbon market instruments, and fintech to hometown investment trust funds and spillover taxes that can unlock private capital. It also highlights country-level experiences across Asia and the Pacific.
- East Asia’s boom in capital market financing
- Do the socioeconomic spillovers from sewage treatment plants in developing countries justify heavy investment in them?
- T20 and realizing education for all in the Digital Age
- The spillover effects of digital platforms
- Tackling the challenge of growing inequality in Asia
- Workshop on Comparison of Economic Integration in Asia and Europe
- Distinguished Speaker Series: The Economics of Cross-Border Supervisory Cooperation
- Conference on Climate Risk and Sovereign Risk in Southeast Asia
- ADBI Session on Fintech, Financial Inclusion, and Financial Literacy in Asia and Launch of Handbook of Banking and Finance in Asia
Handbook of Green Finance: Energy Security and Sustainable Development
This handbook is the first to explain ways to finance green projects for implementing the SDGs in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Leveraging Services for Development: Prospects and Policies
The services economy is on the rise all around the world, and services now comprise the largest share of economic activity and employment in almost every country.
- Peter Morgan, Senior Consulting Economist and Vice Chair of Research, on Driving Policy Innovation
- Nella Hendriyetty, Senior Capacity Building and Training Economist, on Boosting Asian Economies
- Nanum Jeon, Research Associate, on Supporting Capacity Building Programs and Her Career Future
- ADB President Nakao on the Future of Asia’s Growth Story
- Trade in services should be encouraged for sustainable development goals
- Routinization's impact on labor shares in developing vs developed Asia
- Japan’s declining labor share attributed to conditions in growing service industries
- T20 delivers recommendations to Prime Minister Abe, informs G20 Summit