ADB and ADBI's high-level seminar, Developing Clean and Effective Energy Systems in the 21st Century, was held in Tokyo, Japan, on 6-8 March. Around 60 participants, including those from developing member countries (DMCs) and the private sector, share ways of managing 21st-century energy networks. They also identify comparative and competitive advantages of ADB member countries with respect to mega trends and constraints, and how ADB can articulate and deliver future-proof technical and financial support to DMCs.
Asia has been uniquely affected by low and negative global interest rates. ADBI’s new book explores the effects on foreign direct investment and portfolio investment, exchange rate effects, credit availability, and more. Click here to download the book.
Tax officials met on 20–23 February, in Tokyo. They included representatives from the Study Group on Tax Administration and Research (Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Thailand, and Viet Nam) and from Myanmar and Lao PDR. ADBI organized the workshop with ADB, Japan’s National Tax Agency, and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. ADBI Dean Naoyuki Yoshino delivered closing remarks.
Digitalization in Asia presents opportunities and challenges, ADBI Deputy Dean Chul Ju Kim said at a workshop on 21 February. About 70 government officials and experts discussed the role of big data, e-commerce, financial technology, innovation, education, and trust in promoting Asias digital economy at the workshop, which was jointly organized with the ASEANIndia Centre, Research and Information System for Developing Countries.
- Minimizing the Cost of Fecal Sludge Management through Co-Treatment
- FDI and Its Impacts on Entrepreneurship and Informal Markets: A Double-Edged Sword?
- Will Financial Liberalization Trigger the First Crisis in the People’s Republic of China?
- Green bonds experience in the Nordic countries
- One Belt One Road and the Risks Behind the Win-Win Situation
- Effectiveness of Universal Health Insurance in Asian Countries
- Transitions between Informal and Formal Employment: Results from a Worker Survey in Bangladesh
- ADB–ADBI–University of Tokyo Conference on Behavioral and Experimental Economics for Development Policy
- Advisory Council Policy Dialogue: Financing Infrastructure in Developing Asia
Slowdown in the People’s Republic of China: Structural Factors and the Implications for Asia
This book analyzes the causes of the recent slowdown in the PRC and assesses the growth potential of the PRC economy, the conditions under which that potential growth could be realized, and the implications for other Asian economies.
The Implications of Ultra-Low and Negative Interest Rates for Asia
Asia has been uniquely affected by low and negative global interest rates. This volume explores these effects--from foreign direct investment and portfolio investment, to exchange rate effects, credit availability, and more.
- Asia Launch of the 2017 World Intellectual Property Report—Intangible Capital in Global Value Chains
- Trade creates jobs in Viet Nam but technology might be harming low-skilled workers
- Housing lessons from Hong Kong, China, Republic of Korea, Singapore
- Opening Remarks: Planning, Implementing, and Operating High-Speed Rail in Asia