Call for Papers: Asia and the Pacific Economies
6th Seminar on Asia and the Pacific Economies
Xi’an Jiaotong–Liverpool University and the Asian Development Bank Institute
Suzhou, People’s Republic of China (PRC）
11–12 May 2018
The Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) and Xi’an Jiaotong–Liverpool University (XJTLU) invite submissions of papers for a 2-day seminar on topics related to Asia and the Pacific economies. We welcome original research papers on theoretical, empirical, and experimental economics, and on social issues. Special sessions will be held on financial inclusion and financial literacy, infrastructure investment, and finance to broaden the scope of the research agenda.
- Asia and the Pacific region have experienced market-oriented reforms, market opening and globalization, economic and financial regionalization, among others, which underpin the first theme. Topics include but are not restricted to Asian integration, trade, foreign investment, finance and capital flows, macroeconomics, and exchange rates.
- The central role of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) as the world’s biggest exporter and the world’s second-largest economy underpins the second theme. Any aspect of the PRC economy may be explored, including trade liberalization and special trade areas, economic concentration, institutional factors, financial sector reforms and capital market opening, structural reforms, fiscal policy and decentralization, local and federal government competition, among others.
- Build a network of research economists in Asia and the Pacific.
- Provide a forum for presenting research papers and developing joint research projects.
- Strengthen the role of the recently created Research Institute for Economic Integration (RIEI) at XJTLU.
- Disseminate original research output through the RIEI Working Paper Series (https://ideas.repec.org/s/xjt/rieiwp.html).
Special Session Topics:
- Infrastructure investment and finance
- Financial inclusion and financial literacy
- Yang Chen, Lecturer, International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), XJTLU
- Peter Morgan, Senior Consulting Economist and Research Co-Chair, ADBI
- Paulo Regis, Associate Professor, IBSS, XJTLU
- Nimesh Salike, Associate Professor, IBSS, XJTLU
- Deadline for submission of Abstracts/Draft Papers: 1 March 2018
- Deadline for submission of Complete Papers: 1 April 2018
- Workshop date: 11–12 May 2018
Abstracts (300 words or less) must be submitted to [email protected] no later than 1 March 2018 as a Word document containing a title, name, and affiliation of the author(s); contact information; and JEL classification fields. However, early applications with a full paper are preferred. The seminar’s working language is English and only papers written in English will be considered. If there are two or more authors, please identify who will be attending. Authors whose papers have been selected will be notified by mid-March or earlier. A full draft paper will be required for the workshop and should be submitted by 1 April 2018.
Authors are required to make a 30-minute presentation. One discussant per paper will comment on the paper and lead the discussion.
We provide economy-class transport (international or domestic) to Suzhou and 3 nights’ accommodation for participants from East Asia. Participants from other locations may apply for partial funding.