(Extended) Call for Papers on Environmental Challenges and Agricultural Sustainability in Asia: Interlinkages and Future Implications
Environmental Challenges and Agricultural Sustainability in Asia: Interlinkages and Future Implications
Asian Development Bank Institute
Climate change and other environmental challenges are increasingly threatening agricultural sustainability in Asia, which supports the livelihoods of over 40% of the region’s population and is crucial to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in areas such as food and nutrition security, poverty reduction, water security, and climate action.
Agriculture, on the other hand, is contributing to climate change through accelerating greenhouse gas emissions and land and water degradation. Building agricultural and environmental sustainability in Asia will depend on the development of more innovative farming practices and their social and institutional acceptance and adoption.
The Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) is seeking original, unpublished papers on environmental challenges and agricultural sustainability in Asia, their interlinkages, and future implications. Selected papers will be featured during a related conference to be held on 8-10 December 2021, either in Tokyo or virtually, and considered for publication in a special issue of the journal Environmental Challenges.
Paper topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Farming practices and agricultural technologies that lead to low-emission agricultural development, reduced environmental degradation, and improved farming household resilience
- Agricultural systems that simultaneously contribute to climate change adaptation, greenhouse gas mitigation, and food security
- How farmers cope with increasing climate risks and vulnerability
- How existing formal and informal institutions and policy set up, facilitate, and/or limit the adoption of climate-smart agriculture and whether better alternatives exist
Authors of selected papers will be notified by 30 November 2021.
Papers will be selected by:
- Dil Rahut, Senior Research Fellow, ADBI
- Jeetendra Aryal, Freelance consultant
- Berrin Tansel, Professor, Florida International University
Arrangements for Selected Papers
Authors of selected papers will be invited to present during the 9-11 December 2021 conference. Should conditions allow the conference to be conducted in Tokyo, ADBI will provide travel support to one author per paper. The author must be a citizen of an Asian Development Bank member economy.
The conference will be held virtually in the event of COVID-19 travel disruptions.
Inquiries may be directed to Dil Rahut.