Call for Papers: SMEs in Developing Asia: New Approaches to Overcoming Market Failures
Workshop on SMEs in Developing Asia: New Approaches to Overcoming Market Failures
Asian Development Bank Institute, Tokyo, Japan
19-20 November 2015
The Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) is pleased to announce a two-day workshop to discuss the challenges faced by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Asia. A range of issues will be addressed including barriers to accessing finance, skilled workers, technology, and domestic and foreign markets. The challenges faced by enterprises due to their size will be a central concern as well as the mechanisms, driven by public policy or market mechanisms, which can help to promote enterprise growth and internationalization.
ADBI invites the submission of extended abstracts of about 1,000 words or preferably complete papers. Papers shall contain solid empirical analysis and policy suggestions or implications. Manuscripts should focus on SMEs in one or more countries in Asia, including Central Asia and the Pacific.
Submissions will be peer-reviewed by ADBI. Authors (one per accepted paper) will be invited to present their papers at the captioned workshop. ADBI will meet the travel and accommodation costs of one author per paper. Papers will be considered for publication as ADBI Working Papers and as chapters in edited books.
Submissions on the following topics are particularly welcome:
- Conventional and new approaches to SME financing; what works and what doesn’t in public support for accessing finance; financial literacy and education for SMEs
- Benefits and barriers to technology acquisition, adoption, and adaptation; public policies and programs to support innovation and technological upgrading
- Human capital and its contribution to productivity and enterprise growth; effective approaches for skills development
- Productivity and workplace organization
- Deadline for submission of Abstracts/Draft Papers: 15 September 2015
- Deadline for submission of Complete Paper: 15 October 2015
- Workshop date: 19-20 November 2015
Abstracts/draft papers should be submitted to: Paul Vandenberg, Senior Economist, [email protected] or Pornpinun Chantapacdepong, Research Fellow, [email protected]. Asian Development Bank Institute, Tokyo, Japan. www.adbi.org