Year in Review 2017
Message from the Dean
Archive The year in review reports summarizes
ADBI's achievements, activities
and financial highlights for the year.At the Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI), we applaud the many achievements of staff during 2017.
In January 2018, the 2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, published by the University of Pennsylvania, ranked ADBI the second-best government-affiliated think tank and the best regional-studies center in the world.
I commend the dedication of ADBI staff, research fellows, consultants, and contributors who have shared their knowledge, talents, resources, and time to make these accomplishments possible.
Capacity Building and Training
Capacity building and training (CBT) activities in 2017 addressed the themes of poverty reduction and inclusive growth, regional cooperation and integration, infrastructure development, environment and climate change, support for middle-income countries and promotion of private sector development.
Policy dialogues, training seminars, and workshops were organized in Tokyo and in several developing member countries (DMCs) in collaboration with national, regional, and international partner organizations, including the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Institute, International Labour Organization, International Monetary Fund, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, and the World Bank.
As of 31 December, 51 CBT events were conducted, with over 2,266 participants.
- Policy dialogue/Workshop: Financing the Sustainable Development Goals in Developing Asia— Social Protection Goals
- Regional workshop: Catalyzing Financial Inclusion in Asia through Financial Literacy and Consumer Protection
- Workshop: Policies and Governance for Gender Equality and Competitive Female Labor in Asia
- Training workshop: CAREC Horticulture Value Chain
- Tax Compliance in the Developing Digital Economy
- Joint Training Program on Economic Corridor Development for Competitive and Inclusive Asia
- 6th Network of Asian River Basin Organizations (NARBO) General Meeting—Water Management
- Forum: Energy for the Future: The Second CAREC Energy Investment Forum and Astana EXPO–2017
- Workshop: Financing Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in Developing Asia and the Pacific
- Policy workshop: Green Energy, Transportation, and Green Cities
- Policy dialogue: Green Infrastructure and Poverty Reduction in the Pacific Island Countries
- Training program: Financing Infrastructure Connectivity for Economic Corridor Development
- Workshop: Tax and Corruption: An Asia-Pacific Perspective
- Training program: Efficient Management of State-Owned Enterprises
- ADB–ADBI Forum on Governance and Institutions
- Fair Taxation in the Digital Economy
- Efficient Management of State-Owned Enterprises: Challenges and Opportunities
- Introducing the Tax-Kicker Bond: Budget-Neutral Financing of Private Infrastructure by Back-End Participation in Future Tax Revenue Growth
- Public Financing of Infrastructure in Asia: In Search of New Solutions
- Promoting Disaster Risk Financing in Asia and the Pacific
In January 2018, the 2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, published by the University of Pennsylvania ranked ADBI the second-best government-affiliated think tank and the best regional-studies center in the world.
Research activities in 2017 focused on studies that address emerging development issues that crosscut the areas of inclusive and sustainable growth, regional cooperation and integration, and governance for policies and institutions. The outputs of major studies will be developed into future capacity building and training activities. In 2017, 63 major events were conducted.
Highlights of Major Research Activities
- ADBI/ADB Conference: 20 Years after the Asian Financial Crisis: Lessons, Challenges and the Way Forward
- ADBI Conference: Urbanization in Asia: A Comparative Study of the People’s Republic of China and India
- Regional Workshop: Catalyzing Financial Inclusion in Asia Through Financial Literacy and Consumer Protection
- Training: Financing of Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in Developing Asia and the Pacific
- ADBI 20th Annual Conference: Managing Private and Local Government Debt
- Win-Win: How International Trade Can Help Meet the Sustainable Development Goals
- Mission Incomplete: Reflating Japan's Economy
- SMEs in Developing Asia New Approaches to Overcoming Market Failures
- Financial Inclusion, Regulation, and Education: Asian Perspectives
- Japan’s Lost Decade: Lessons for Asian Economies
- Food Insecurity in Asia: Why Institutions Matter
ADBI in the Media