Lead in identifying, developing, implementing and administering education and skills development programs and projects, technical assistance (TA), and non-lending products and services (NLPS). Provide technical inputs to the development of education sector policy, programs and projects and necessary inputs on divisional work. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
a. Strategy and Planning
- Conduct economic and sector work, including sector assessments and policy and strategy options, for ADB-supported education and skills development sector development efforts.
- Lead in the identification, development, processing, and administration of loan and TA projects in the education and skills development sectors, and ensure good quality of sector analyses and incorporation of key issues.
- Lead and participate in country teams and sector working groups. Provide technical inputs for country programming and contribute to the development of country/regional partnership strategies and country/regional operations business plans.
- Conduct policy dialogue with government on relevant education sector policies and reforms.
- Contribute new and innovative approaches to policy, strategies and operational issues, including private sector engagement in education and skills development, in the context of inclusive and sustainable growth and poverty reduction.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders in developing member countries (DMCs) such as non-government organizations (NGOs), civil society organizations, and development partners, in consultation with appropriate ADB focal points and staff.
b. Project management
- Lead or participate in missions and other activities in the administration of both delegated and non-delegated loan and TA projects in the education and skills development sectors.
- Lead and coordinate closely with executing agencies and implementing agencies, and development partners as appropriate, to ensure smooth project implementation, and achievement of development results.
- Ensure ADB assistance implementation is compliant and consistent with ADB policies, strategies and procedures.
- Provide guidance, advice and comments as appropriate to project teams in the administration of loan, grant and TA projects for the education and skills development sectors.
- Coordinate with and provide guidance to colleagues in the division and regional department and in other ADB offices and departments as appropriate.
c. Policy and project evaluation
- Lead and participate in missions involving evaluation of loans and TA for education sector development as appropriate.
- Monitor closely and evaluate education sector assistance to ensure the achievement of development results. Assess continuously the impact of policies, strategies and projects on beneficiaries, and on the overall social and economic development of DMCs.
d. Knowledge sharing
- Participate in sector and thematic networks on the education and skills development sectors to share and keep abreast of the latest developments and issues, including as peer reviewer.
- Contribute to knowledge generation, management and sharing through the preparation of knowledge activities (e.g., workshops, seminars, and publications) relevant to DMCs, including the promotion of innovations and best practices in the education and skills development sectors.
- Share knowledge internally and externally
e. Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff and consultants, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
- Coordinate with relevant staff in matters relevant to reporting staff.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team's success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master's degree, or equivalent in education, public sector management, economics, or other related fields. University degree in education, public sector management, economics, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
a. Work experience
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience, including as project leader in the preparation and implementation of projects in education, skills development, or in social sectors.
- International experience working in several countries, preferably including ADB DMCs
b. Technical knowledge
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB and development community.
- Ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community.
- Familiarity with ADB processes and procedures in public sector operations.
c. People and leadership skills
- Able to perform effectively as a mission leader or team lead, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over a multi-disciplinary team/unit.
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters.
- Able to act as a team member.
- Able to act as an OIC of the Division when required.
- Supervisor: Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.