Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Kazakhstan Resident Mission (KARM) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. KARM was established to assist its Headquarters in the implementation of projects and programs, in project processing, country programming, and sector and economic work.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Economics Officer supports ADB activities in the host country in relation to country strategy and programming process, , economic, thematic, and sector work; as well as publication and knowledge sharing products The incumbent will report to the Country Director and/or designated International Staff.
- Assists in monitoring, analyzing and reporting on macroeconomic and financial sector developments on a regular basis, including maintenance of a comprehensive database
- Supports the Resident Mission's (RM) economic, thematic, and sector work
- Supports regular monitoring of country performance under ADB's Performance Based Allocation Policy
- Supports the RM in coordination with other development partners in the areas of macroeconomic management, financial sector operations, and private sector development
- Participates in and organizes seminars and workshops as required to disseminate findings of relevant TAs and economic sector work supported by ADB
- Maintains contacts with government offices, private sector organizations, academic/research institutions, international agencies and other entities to obtain operationally relevant publications and data
- Prepares quarterly economic updates and the host country section for Asian Development Outlook.
- Supports the publication of RM's Working Paper Series, undertakes economic analysis and forecasts, including maintenance of appropriate macro model for host country.
- Undertakes other tasks pertaining to ADB's operations assigned by the Country Director
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in economics and/or in finance or relevant fields, preferably with advanced training.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Experience in applied economic theory/quantitative methods and policy work
- Experience in financial sector and private sector finance would be an advantage
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1-4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Kazakhstan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.