Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Office of the Director General (PFOD) within the Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department (PPFD).
Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department's responsibilities include project-related financial management, consultant recruitment, Executing Agency procurement reviews, project implementation, portfolio management and project performance management. In addition, our teams are involved in a number of initiatives and have introduced certain changes to procedures to improve ADB's performance with respect to consultant recruitment, procurement reviews, project implementation, portfolio management and project performance management.
The Office of the Director General, oversees the management and operations of PPFD.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants. If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years. Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
The Deputy Director General supports the Director General (DG) in (i) leading the planning, implementation and supervision of PPFD vision, strategy and work plan in support of overall ADB goals; (ii) advising and assisting ADB's operational departments on project preparation, performance, and implementation; (iii) overseeing PPFD's relationship with internal and external stakeholders; (iv) overseeing the systems development in support of the decentralization of all procurement services to ADB's regional departments; (v) supervising the provision of a range of capacity building and training activities; (vi) managing the departmental resource requirements; and (vii) managing a range of strategic project performance, procurement and financial management issues.
The incumbent will report to the DG and will supervise international, national and administrative staff.
- Support DG, PPFD in:
- establishing and promoting PPFD's vision goals, strategy and key result areas in support of ADB's objectives and in compliance with ADB policies.
- planning, implementing and supervising PPFD's work programs as well as monitoring the quality of outputs, achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the Department.
- providing leadership in professional and operational matters, keeping abreast of developments in the professional fields, and taking the lead in introducing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- overseeing the effective coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments/offices and internal stakeholders.
- providing senior management with full and regular updates on operational issues as well as timely and accurate projections of future operational activities.
- Provide advice in the preparation of key performance indicators for countries, sectors, and projects and the provision of information on the performance of ADB's portfolio to the Management and Board of Directors.
- Provide support in the coordination of project administration work, and in identifying and resolving procedural and institutional problems being experienced with implementation of ADB projects.
- Contribute in the review of project administration practices and procedures, preparation of guidelines, project administration instructions and other operational documents.
- Support the provision of advisory services on procurement and consulting services in ADB-financed operations from project design through implementation.
- Contribute in the development and improvement of procurement and consulting services policies and procedures.
- Help ensure the full and effective coordination with other multilateral development banks on the harmonization of procurement and consulting services policies and procedures.
- Provide support in the provision of financial management and related policy advice to operational departments and Management.
- Assist in providing technical advice to operational departments on country/sector financial management system assessments, including areas for capacity development and appropriate risk mitigation measures.
- Contribute to the review and update of ADB's project related financial analysis and management policies, administrative instructions, guidelines and reports.
- Support DG, PPFD in:
- creating and leading multi-disciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- managing the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- coaching and mentoring team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
- Assist DG, PPFD in the management and operations of PPFD, budget requirements and human resource management (recruitment, staff movement, performance management including motivation of department staff and handling of staff management issues), and other matters as may be assigned by the DG.
Relevant Experience and Requirements
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in Law, Economics, Finance, Public/Business Administration or related fields. University degree in Law, Economics, Finance, Public/Business Administration or related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience in procurement, portfolio management, or financial management in multi-country development experience, with good knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region including international experience working in several countries.
- Proven strength and experience in the operations of ADB or similar multilateral development organizations, with demonstrated experience in managing a large team in the areas of the position's responsibilities and project design and management.
- Proven ability to undertake high-level dialogues, both within and outside ADB.
- Sound planning, managerial and administrative skills together with superior interpersonal and negotiating skills, and demonstrated performance in creating, motivating and leading diverse teams of highly qualified professionals.
- Thorough cumulative knowledge, experience and fundamental understanding of multilateral development bank's operational policies and procedures, including budgeting and human resources management.
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 9.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.