1. Multiple positions at various levels may be filled from this vacancy notice.
2. Actual position title, level and salary will be based on the candidate's qualifications, experience and job scope that will be assigned to the selected candidates.
3. Location - ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
4. Fixed-Term appointment - initial staff appointments to ADB under a standard fixed term appointment are for three (3) years which may be extended or converted to a regular employment given satisfactory performance and the continued need for particular skills.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
The position is assigned in the Transport and Communications Division (SATC) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SATC, is responsible for sector support for transport and communications development in SARD's jurisdiction.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Transport Specialist will lead/oversee the formulation and articulation of sector policy and strategies, engaging Developing Member Countries (DMCs) governments and other stakeholders on transport sector issues and projects and identify, process for approval, and administer transport sector assistance projects, technical assistance (TA), and non-lending products and services (NLPS) to support sustainable and efficient transportation initiatives. The incumbent will ensure compliance with ADB's policies, operations manuals, project administration instructions, and assistance-related documentations. The incumbent will work closely with internal teams and resource departments, and externally with clients and supervise critical tasks. The incumbent will report to the Director of SATC and may supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
- Conduct dialogue with government officials and other stakeholders on transport sector issues and projects. Lead/oversee project identification, preparation, appraisal, documentation and compliance with ADB's policies, operations manuals, project administration instructions, and related documentations.
- Ensure that sustainability, best engineering practices including high technology and appropriate technology, safety, and efficiency are realistically incorporated in project design for effective implementation.
- Provide guidance to borrowers/clients, and assist in formulating, planning, and preparing high quality documents related to the projects.
- Lead/oversee and supervise above functions as Project Team Leader (PTL) for loans and TA projects with high levels of risk and complexity, and possibly conflicting stakeholder interests.
- Address issues raised by direct and indirect stakeholders as well as queries, comments, and suggestions from internal review including from senior management.
- Ensure achievement of intended project outputs and outcomes in quality and timely manner as well as policy and document compliance of projects and programs during implementation.
- Lead, develop and maintain a knowledge base an network in the transport sector to keep abreast of the latest developments and issues. Serve as the focal point for coordination with other divisions/departments concerning the transport sector.
- Contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around transport and development issues.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree in Civil, Highway, or Transportation Engineering; Transport Economics; Transport Planning; or other related fields, preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in the transport sector including international work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of transport and communications development issues in Asia. Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's transport sector operations (transport economics, transport planning and design, or transport project implementation), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Proven experience as mission leader for processing or administration of loan and TA projects and policy dialogue in the transport sector.
- Experience of procurement in multilateral organizations will be preferred.
- Good understanding and experience in the overall tasks needed in the preparation of investment projects, including project identification and conceptualization, analysis of relevant policies, preparing studies and reports, and coordination with external stakeholders, consultants, and government agencies.
- Good skills and experience in coordinating and working with teams of professionals such as for technical, social and environmental safeguards, economic assessments and procurement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing.
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 5 - 6.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will depend on the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.