Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of the Director General (SPOD) within the Strategy, Policy and Review Department (SPD). The Strategy, Policy and Review Department provides ADB with strategic planning perspectives and direction, ensures policy and operations coordination, develops policies and business processes for sovereign and nonsovereign operations, supports allocation and monitoring of the use of operational resources, manages the implementation of development results and effectiveness, maintains institutional relations with the international development community and quality assurance of country partnership strategies, country operational business plans, and selected projects. SPD also has direct oversight functions for the three Representative Offices in Frankfurt, Tokyo and Washington DC.
The Office of the Director General, oversees the management and operations of SPD.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants. If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years. Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
The Deputy Director General supports the Director General (DG) in leading the planning, implementation and completion of the department's work plan, ensuring quality of work outputs, managing and supervising staff and planning and monitoring resource requirements of the department. Provide technical advice on the areas of strategy and policy development, business process reform, resource mobilization and allocation, partnerships and development effectiveness. Assist in informing the Board and Management of emerging developments, opportunities and challenges.
The incumbent will report to the Director General and will supervise international, national and administrative staff.
- Support DG, SPD in:
- developing ADB's strategic agenda and approaches to better respond to the evolving needs of developing member countries (DMCs) and objectives of ADB's shareholders
- planning, coordinating, and monitoring ADB's operations, including the preparation of long-term and medium-term strategies, planning directions, work program and budget frameworks, and operational resource parameters.
- providing advice in the analysis, design, and implementation of results management policies, practices, and procedures
- ensuring that operational activities are in line with established strategic agenda, operational policies, and operating principles.
- maintaining effective liaison and communication with other multilateral development banks and bilateral agencies.
- developing and maintaining non-sector, non-thematic strategic and policy papers
- Contribute to the review of ADB-wide business processes and ensure that business process documents, operations manual, staff instructions, and guidelines for developed policies are updated.
- Provide support to operations departments in the mainstreaming of a comprehensive system for monitoring, measuring, reporting, and MfDR.
- Manage activities related to resource mobilization in coordination with the Treasury Department (TD).
- Support the coordination of ADB's efforts at harmonization of operational policies, procedures and practices with other multilateral development institutions to promote a global partnership for development.
- Provide advice to Management on all aspects of ADB's operational activities, including development policy and strategy issues, responses to international and regional economic developments, and in monitoring progress in the delivery of operational programs.
- Provide quality control for SPD's work outputs and ensure that key result areas are met.
- Assist the DG in the management and operations of SPD, budget requirements and human resource management (recruitment, staff movement, performance management including motivation of department staff and handling of staff management issues), and other matters as may be assigned by the DG.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or related fields. University degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience in multi-country development experience, with good knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region including international experience working in several countries
- Proven strength and experience in the operations of ADB or similar multilateral development organizations, with demonstrated experience in managing a large team related to any of the following work areas: strategic planning, development finance and administration, policy-oriented research studies, and analyses of development issues
- Proven ability to undertake high-level dialogues, both within and outside ADB, on strategic and policy issues
- Possesses cumulative knowledge, experience and fundamental understanding of diverse concepts, principles and practices, and able to share knowledge to benefit the ADB and the wider international community
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills
- Able to manage and motivate staff performance and career development in a diverse workforce, as well as establish a constructive work environment to maximize staff engagement and optimize staff potential
- Excellent interpersonal skills to lead and manage a team of highly qualified professional staff, national officers, and administrative staff
- Directly deal with situations of staff non-performance or breaches of ADB Code of Conduct
- Be a role model of ADB's core values to team members
- Act as a mentor to team members, providing guidance
- Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 9
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.