Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in India Residence Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India. This position would support the economics team of INRM in tasks related to knowledge management and skills development.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To provide analytical and technical support to the operation of the India Resident Mission (INRM) by performing specific responsibilities in terms of project/TA administration and processing. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff (IS) and/or senior National Staff (NS).
- Administers the implementation of delegated loans and TAs in transport sector, by actively taking initiatives and responsibility to engage with the government agencies, INRM and ADB HQ, contractors and consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Undertakes work planning, delivery, and reviews for assigned projects with the team. Prepares and updates forecasts of contract awards and disbursements; monitors and supports the progress and performance helping address any shortfalls.
- Monitors and coordinates with the EAs the timely submission of monthly/ quarterly progress reports, audited project accounts and financial statements, and withdrawal applications.
- Identifies issues impeding sound project implementation (at outcome, output, input, and process levels, and covenants) and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing and implementing agencies (EAs and IAs), contractors, consultants, and other stakeholders; prepares measures to address the issues; and facilitate implementing the measures.
- Provides advice to government ministries, EAs, IAs and other entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, and other implementation related subjects, and supports effective awareness/capacity building and implementation.
- Explain ADB's Anti-Corruption Policy to executing agencies and assists in ensuring ADB projects are implemented with a sufficient degree of oversight and transparency to deter fraudulent acts.
- Participates in or leads project inception, review, mid-term review, special loan administration missions and project completion review missions. Prepares mission aide memoires, project completion reports, and TA completion reports, as assigned.
- Prepares internal memos and papers for project administration and finalize them with requisite internal and external coordination, including procurement and consultant selection (planning, bidding documents, and evaluation reports), contract management, extension of loan closing dates, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, reallocation of loan proceeds, updating of project/ facility administration memoranda, and other project administration tasks.
- Processes staff and TA consultant recruitment and coordinates paperwork with concerned departments/offices; process contract variations; monitors submission of consultants' billings and final billings and TA completion to ensure timely closing of TA accounts.
- Creates and updates individual Project Performance Reports (PPRs), Technical Assistance Project Reports (TPRs), and materials for Tripartite Portfolio Review Meetings, by monitoring compliance on various implementation requirements and targets, and suggesting corrective actions to fulfill any identified gaps.
- Provide requisite inputs (data, information, and analyses) to the portfolio management systems of INRM's Portfolio Management Unit (PMU), and to its portfolio performance assessments and recommendations.
- Supports the timely posting of Project Information Document, Social Safeguard Monitoring Report, Environment Safeguard Monitoring Report, Project Administration Memorandum, etc. of assigned projects on the ADB website.
- Assist project preparation and processing including preparation and review of RRPs, and Project Administration Memorandums (PAMs) taking into account lessons learned from previous projects and compliance with procurement policies and procedures of assigned projects.
- Reviews procurement plans, contract packaging, cost estimates, financing plan and consultant terms of reference in RRPs and PAMs to maintain consistency, accuracy and effectiveness.
- Contributes to sector and knowledge work for the transport sector/ projects by assisting in conducting research, updating information and analyses of the assigned sector.
- Provides support for policy dialogues with the government on policy matters and institutional issues.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related fields, preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience
- Good knowledge and experience in transport sector
- Ability to quickly grasp ADB policies in a wide range of areas including project processing, administration, accounting and general administration.
- Ability to research, analyze and check data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies and perform statistical calculations.
- Proficiency in database management method.
- High level of proficiency in use of the Internet and standard ADB computer applications
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Familiarity with local languages and institutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in team-oriented environment.
- Ability to take initiative and work proactively.
- Flexibility/willingness to perform variety of tasks and expand the scope of work and responsibilities as needed.
- Proficiency in the use of technology packages (common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics, PowerPoint and web-browsing and search engines.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1 - 2
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.