Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The Office of Anticorruption and Integrity (OAI) leads the integrity initiatives of ADB through the conduct of investigations, project procurement-related reviews, integrity due diligence, and knowledge-sharing with ADB's stakeholders. In addition, OAI implements ADB's tax integrity policy at country and project levels and ensures a respectful ADB workplace.
The position is assigned in the Due Diligence Unit (AIOD-DU) within the Office of Anticorruption and Integrity (OAI). AIOD-DU is responsible for promoting due diligence activities in ADB and conducting independent and objective due diligence reviews and assessments.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Integrity Specialist will primarily conduct and lead both complex and non-complex, independent and objective integrity and tax due diligence reviews and assessments, to identify and address integrity, money laundering (ML) and terrorist financing (TF), tax-integrity, and reputational risks to the ADB. This includes identification and assessment of ultimate beneficial ownerships and controls, ownership structures and the management of risks associated with entities that participate, or are looking to participate, in ADB-financed, supported or administered activities.
As required, the incumbent will lead and/or support: (i) investigations into allegations of integrity violations or misconduct; and/or (ii) project procurement-related reviews, including the planning, management and reporting of these.
With respect to any of the above-mentioned responsibilities: (i) to mentor, guide and supervise junior staff in the performance of such responsibilities; (ii) provide advisory services on the associated matters; (iii) formulate recommendations on policies, guidelines and procedures; and (iv) conduct capacity building activities.
The incumbent will work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in the selection of work methods. S/he will represent OAI in liaising with internal and external parties, as required. S/he will report to Unit Head, AIOD-DU, OAI.
- Conduct complex and non-complex integrity due diligence (IDD), including tax IDD (under ADB's policies and procedures on anticorruption and anti-money laundering); desktop, filed and other research and reporting; oversight reviews of project-level assessments; review of approved and proposed ADB projects, including structures and jurisdictions; data collation and analysis; risk assessment, including integrity-related, ML/TF, tax integrity and reputational risks to ADB; and preparing conclusions and making relevant recommendations with respect to ADB's risk exposure to entities of interest.
- Assess the extent to which intermediate jurisdictions are present in project structures, which potentially impact tax transparency, price transfer, related party transactions, money laundering and/or other risks.
- Assess potential noncompliance with tax reporting and Anti-money Laundering/Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) requirements in ADB projects.
- Recommend actions that ADB can undertake to strengthen tax integrity and transparency, and AML/CFT measures in projects.
- Review and, as necessary, help draft appropriate disclosure language for project documents.
- Actively liaise with other offices as one of OAI's IDD focal points.
- Conduct complex and non-complex employment screening due diligence, including desktop background checks on recruitment candidates.
- Conduct pro-active monitoring of entities for profiling/data collection, analysis and advisory, as required.
- Perform complex and non-complex IDD reviews for ADB procurement and consultant selection activities, including on institutional suppliers and contractors, as required.
- Perform any other related matter, including the preparation of reports, analyses and advisories, as required.
- Conduct seminars and workshops, deliver presentations, facilitate meetings to foster an understanding of ADB's policies and procedures on IDD, AML/CFT and integrity, to disseminate tools and lessons learned and build capacity.
- Develop and deliver effective outreach and training program
Policy, Procedures and Advisory
- Recommend and assist in the development of policies, procedures and guidelines, as necessary to facilitate the delivery of OAI's mandate
- Provide advisory services to other ADB departments/offices in relation to potential exposures to fraud, corruption, and other inappropriate practices.
- Provide advice to other departments/offices in ADB, with respect to potential exposures to fraud, corruption, money laundering, financing of terrorism, tax evasion, tax transparency, and other risks and prohibited practices.
- Lead and/or support investigations into allegations of integrity violations pursuant to ADB's Anticorruption Policy and Integrity Principles and Guidelines, as required.
- Manage external retainers and other team members as required.
- Communicate the impact and outcome of investigations with concerned OAI and ADB staff, government agencies and third parties, when appropriate and as required.
Project Procurement-Related Reviews (PPRRs)
- Lead and/or support the planning and execution of PPRRs, as required.
- Managing external retainers and other team members, as required.
- Communicate the impact and outcome of PPRRs with concerned OAI and ADB staff, government agencies and third parties, when appropriate and as required
- Lead, supervise and otherwise support reporting staff, consultants and/or contractors by giving clear direction and constructive performance feedback.
- Support OAI management in staff recruitment and consultant selection.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff and team members.
- Act as the alternate of the Unit Head, AIOD-DU, during his/her absence.
- Conduct review ad assessment of sanctions appeals, as assigned by the Unit Head, AIOD-DU.
- Undertake other work that may be assigned by the Unit Head, AIOD-DU, Director and/or Head, OAI.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- University degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Auditing, Economics, Law or related fields is required.
- A Master's Degree, or equivalent, in a relevant field would be an advantage.
- Professional qualification/s such as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) will be an advantage.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience, demonstrating progression of responsibilities.
- Advanced understanding of international policies and practices on compliance due diligence, tax integrity and/or AML/CFT is required.
- Established reputation for integrity, sound judgment, fairness and discretion.
- Ability to perform under pressure and interact with others, with the utmost diplomacy and professionalism at all times.
- Ability to balance multiple work priorities effectively and adapt priorities in a changing environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including the ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations at senior levels, and to produce complex and compelling reports.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Ability to speak a second language relevant to ADB, is an advantage.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5 - 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.