Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Viet Nam Resident Mission (VRM) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. VRM is responsible for country partnership and strategy, policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Viet Nam.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Private Sector Development Specialist will act as VRM's private sector development (PSD) focal point in Viet Nam and assist the Country Director in high-level policy discussions with Government on PSD, competitiveness, and financial sector development issues. Act as VRM's focal to coordinate and deliver greater private sector participation in ADB's Viet Nam country operations, including by anchoring (i) the structuring of blended financing solutions (sovereign and NSO) in close consultation with PSOD, ORM and OPPP, and (ii) the incorporation of private sector led technology solutions and innovation. The incumbent will report to the Country Director and may supervise the National staff and Administrative staff in VRM.
- Lead business development to originate, implement and administer a pipeline of sovereign projects, technical assistance support, and knowledge products and services that promote greater private sector participation in ADB's Viet Nam country operations.
- Lead the design and implementation of innovative financing modalities or structures that leverage and/or blend with greater non-sovereign operations, directly or through public-private partnerships (PPPs) at central, municipal and local government levels or through state-owned enterprises (SOEs).
- In close consultation with SEPF, co-lead the policy dialogue at central, municipal and local government levels, on issues pertaining to private sector development, including financial sector development and inclusion (fintech).
- Lead and administer all Viet Nam related components and activities under the Mekong Business Initiative (MBI), including those targeted in any subsequent phase.
- Create and develop partnerships with local, regional and global innovation ecosystem networks to identify technology solutions that contribute to development impact in Viet Nam and build and grow partnerships that promote female entrepreneurship.
- Lead the origination and implementation of sovereign project and policy-based loans, and any new financing modalities, to promote or leverage more non-sovereign operations, including from PSOD.
- Develop pilot demonstration transactions that can promote market development and new lines of business, including at municipal level and with SOEs.
- Draft as well as provide comments on project, policy, and other papers relating to private sector development and operations, financial intermediation and financial structuring relevant to ADB operations.
- Undertake broader private sector knowledge development initiatives including on SME development, financial institutions and capital markets with a view to support policy dialogue and project design.
- Take leadership in identifying issues for policy analysis and developing the same into articles, blog posts, publishable papers, and/or presentations.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's or equivalent degree in in Business Administration, Finance, Public Policy, Economics, other related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience in originating and implementing loans and guarantees, analyzing financial statements, assessing credit risks, transaction structuring, asset and liability management (ALM), risk mitigation techniques, and related banking and investment banking activities.
- Extensive knowledge of the overall financial sector, including financial institutions and capital markets, and private sector development.
- Experience with ADB processes and procedures for sovereign (both project and policy-based loans) and non-sovereign operations.
- Familiarity with ADB's co-financing arrangements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle