Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the India Resident Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India. INRM is responsible for policy dialogue, country reporting, country strategy and program formulation, regional cooperation, portfolio management, project administration, economic and sector work, financial and administrative activities, coordination of ADB's activities with the government, donors, nongovernment organizations, academic institutions, private sector, and other members of civil society, and external relations and information dissemination
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Responsible for implementing and supporting procurement and consultant recruitment related initiatives and processes under the country portfolio operations in India, including providing operational support in reviewing procurement related transactions, coordinating procurement matters with external and internal clients/offices, facilitating capacity development activities related to procurement, consultant recruitment and contract management. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Review of Procurement and Consultant Recruitment Matters - Conducts analytical and technical review of various procurement documents received from executing agencies, including draft bidding documents, technical and financial bid evaluation reports, contract variations, expression of interest (EOI), requests for proposals and evaluation of technical and financial proposals for consultant recruitment, draft contracts, and contract award recommendations for projects under INRM administration, provides advice to project officers/mission leaders on procurement, consultant recruitment and contract management matters to resolve issues affecting project implementation and ensure compliance with ADB Procurement Policy, Procedures, Guidelines, Borrower Regulations and Staff Instructions.
- Prepares and reviews internal electronic Procurement Approval Forms (ePAF), Consultant Recruitment Checklists and Contract Modification Forms for contract variations and processes them through online Procurement Review System (PRS) along with fax letters to executing agencies for goods/ civil works contracts and consulting services contracts and other related correspondences as required.
- Assists executing and implementing agencies (EAs/IAs) in preparing various procurement documents to ensure compliance with ADB's Procurement Guidelines, Borrowers Regulations, Staff Instructions and Financing Agreements. Responds to EAs' inquiries on procurement and consultant recruitment matters. Assists INRM staff in the engagement of individual staff consultants and technical assistance (TA) consultants through Consultant Management System (CMS) and guides them in dealing with complex contract administration issues.
- Loan/TA Project Processing and Administration - Assists INRM in processing and administering delegated Loans and TAs, including participating in projects processing and review missions, particularly for procurement related aspects including preparing procurement capacity and risk assessment, conducting post-procurement audits, reviewing contract packaging, preparing/revising procurement plans and preparing mission reports relating to procurement and consultant recruitment.
- Identifies non-compliance, if any, with ADB Procurement Policy, Guidelines, Borrowers Regulations and Financing Agreements and recommends remedial measures and actions for improving procurement processes, issues related to contracts management, and helps solve procurement and contract management problems.
- Coordinates with ADB's Portfolio, Procurement and Financial Management Department (PPFD), Office of Anticorruption and Integrity (OAI), Office of General Counsel (OGC), Sector Divisions and other concerned divisions on procurement and consulting services matters.
- Maintain MIS on procurement, consultant recruitment and data on current status of contract awards under ongoing projects and assists INRM Staff in updating the Consultant Recruitment Activity Monitoring System (CRAM) and Procurement Contract Monitoring System (PCMS) for effective monitoring of the progress of consultant recruitment and procurement under ongoing and pipeline projects.
- Capacity Building - Assists INRM Portfolio Management Unit (PMU) in assessing the capacity of executing and implementing agencies (EA/IAs) in carrying out procurement activities and identifies specific procurement and contract management-related training needs and focus areas for capacity building of EA/IAs.
- Assists in developing training materials and case studies and in conducting procurement and consultant recruitment trainings for executing and implementing agencies, based on practical experience gained from review of procurement and consultant recruitment documents in ADB projects.
- Other Operational Support - Supports INRM in carrying out country portfolio reviews and tripartite portfolio review meetings (TPRM) to monitor portfolio performance and discuss procurement, consultant recruitment, contract management issues and project implementation activities in ADB-financed projects including review of TPRM briefing sheets, background papers and action-plans. Maintains close communications with concerned government agencies with respect to country procurement system and other policies, as and when needed.
- Keeps current with ADB's list of sanctioned and cross-debarred firms and corruption cases related to public procurement.
- Performs other tasks as may be required by the Country Director and PMU Head, and as reflected in the incumbent's work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Bachelor's degree preferably in engineering, law, business administration or related discipline; preferably with advanced training in public procurement and other relevant fields.
At least 6 years relevant experience in project preparation and administration with substantial experience in procurement, consultant recruitment and contract management
- For internal applicants - Procurement Accreditation Skills Scheme (PASS) accreditation in procurement and consulting services will be preferred (non-accredited applicants may be considered though will be required to complete accreditation within one year of appointment).
- Familiarity with Procurement Policy and Procedures, Guidelines, Borrower Regulations and anticorruption policies of ADB.
- Sound knowledge of Indian government's administrative systems and procedures, particularly public procurement systems.
- Sound knowledge of competitive bidding procedures and exposure to the domestic construction and consulting industries in India
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
- Ability to manage priorities and workload within general schedule of work, instructions and standardized practices.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1-2.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.