1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Innovative Applications of Input Output Methodologies to Labor Markets, Trade in Services, and Foreign Direct Investment."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
ERDI seeks to engage a keen researcher to carry out a research project in one of the following topics: labor markets, trade in Services, and foreign direct investment (FDI) using innovative input-output methodologies that build on the ADB Multiregional Input Output Tables (MRIOTs). The intern will contribute to the development of cutting-edge indicators and economic research based on the MRIOTs and related to the Asia-Pacific Region by bridging the ADB-MRIOT team and the ERDI economists' team. The intern is also expected to assist the economists and statisticians in the division working on global value chains (GVCs) in producing high-quality data and timely analytical reports for internal and external clients.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 18 weeks
- Timing: June 2019
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Time series of supply and use tables (SUTs) and Input-Output tables (IOTs) for Asian and Pacific countries;
- GVC statistics based on advanced analytical techniques and accounting frameworks;
- Key trends based on SUTs, IOTs and GVC statistics;
- Development of cutting-edge measures, such as the length of GVCs, value added contribution by sector by country, etc.;
- Assessed impact of GVC on labor market outcomes based on new methods and/or enhance existing methods;
- Seminar presentation of ongoing research project;
- Training of the workshop participants in GVC related data development and analytical techniques and methods.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Be enrolled in a Ph.D. program in Economics or related field, with research background in input-output methodologies and/or global value chains.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Has produced research or analytical work related to global value chains and/or input-output methodologies;
- Has produced and analyzed GVC-related statistics;
- Has worked with and applied advanced analytical and econometric techniques to analyze trade and production data;
- Is highly proficient in MS Office, as well as statistical and mathematical programming software such as MATLAB, STATA, RATS, GAMS, etc.;
- Proven experience in operationalizing advanced and complex analytical methods and econometric and statistical accounting frameworks;
- Possesses very good writing and presentation skills.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).