1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"The Intern will review legal aspects of safeguards compliance, particularly related to environment and law, and will study cases that have been brought to the courts by affected persons or their representatives on projects funded by the MDBs, private sector banks and financial intermediaries, and implications of those on the workings of the MDBs and financial intermediaries."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
A. Accountability Mechanism Policy (AM Policy) Implementation
- Assist OCRP and OGC in conducting research into compliance mechanisms of ADB, other MDBs, IFIs and large private sector organizations to gather best practices in conducting problem solving and compliance review;
- Assist OCRP and its legal counsel in dealing with AM Policy related matters;
- Assist OCRP and its legal counsel in compiling historic advice provided by the legal office to OCRP and BCRC; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned by OCRP or its legal counsel.
B. Review of actions (in courts or otherwise) against the financial institutions and its implications.
- Compile a roster of legal/court cases on complaints related to safeguards compliance, brought by Project Affected Persons and/or their representatives, against (i) multilateral development banks, such as World Bank, IFC and others, and (ii) against private sector banks or financial intermediaries, in countries such as PRC, India and others.
- Analyze the cases and prepare a report on their impact on project scope, implementation, cost, social impacts such as on affected persons etc, and generally on the working of those institutions.
- Study and provide lessons learnt on how to handle such cases in future by these banks to safeguard themselves from future legal actions.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 20 weeks
- Timing: June 2019 onwards
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
A report on legal case study and its implications, and lessons for future.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Presently enrolled in a Master's or PhD course in Law with majors in environmental law.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
1 year of related experience in law with emphasis on environment.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).