Close relatives (spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle) of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Pakistan Resident Mission (PRM) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. PRM works closely with government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance (TA) projects.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Project Officer (Infrastructure) actively contributes to the Resident Mission (RM) and Sector Division by handling loans, grants and technical assistance (TA) processing, administration, sector work (mainly energy with option to include other relevant sectors), procurement, and provides backup support to general sector activities. The position will report to Head, Project Administration Unit or designated International Staff, and will supervise administrative staff.
- Leads project review, country portfolio review and country programming missions; Provides inputs for country partnership strategy, country operations business plan, country assistance performance evaluation, and other key ADB products (e.g. Asian Development Outlook) relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Leads project preparatory missions in the review of technical designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project costing, procurement strategy and related technical issues, among others; Leads policy dialogues with government on sector and institutional issues; Leads in the preparation of project completion reports and TA completion reports as assigned.
- Administers and implements delegated loan and TA projects in energy and other relevant sectors; analyzes issues affecting the achievement of project objectives, improves project ownership and deals with cross-cutting issues of sector projects; and actively engages and coordinates with sector divisions in HQ and other ADB field offices, government agencies, development partners, and other stakeholders on related matters.
- Provides advice to executing agencies on improvement of energy and other relevant sectors, including procurement and contract management related issues; Interacts with development partners and government agencies on ADB's interventions.
- Reviews and conducts internal and external training and conferences on project management and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Conducts research, update information on the assigned sector, analyze financial, institutional or economics uses, and prepares reports on the subjects for the assigned sector.
- Prepares sector assessments and provides appropriate advice on project procurement, sector policies and institutional reforms; Monitors, analyzes, and disseminates within ADB key policy reforms in the assigned sectors.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Acts as the focal point for the assigned sector(s) and maintains close relationships with the relevant Government agencies and HQ staff.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent's workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related disciplines, preferably with Master's degree or equivalent. Additional qualification in transport, urban, agriculture, health or education will be preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience; and at least 5 years of supervisory experience. Experience with an international organization will be an added advantage.
- Excellent working knowledge of infrastructure sectors of Pakistan
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement and disbursement processes
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
- Able to mentor junior National Officers (NO) and Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for NS4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, considering the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Pakistan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.