Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.033, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Portfolio, Results, Safeguards and Gender Unit of the Office of the Director General (CWOD-PSG) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. CWOD is responsible for providing the strategic direction and supervising the delivery of CWRD's work program. The position will report to CWRD Director General and shall supervise the following staff positions: (i) International staff; (ii) National staff; and (iii) Administrative Staff.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of the unit's strategies and work plan in support of overall ADB goals. Oversee the quality of work and ensure the achievement of objectives of the unit. Support external and internal relations, coordination and consultation initiatives for the department. Lead and provide guidance on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies. Provide advisory and managerial support to CWRD Management on (i) developing country-focused, innovative, sustainable, and integrated solutions under one-ADB approach; (ii) monitoring, quality assurance and advisory support for operations policies, programming, pipeline delivery, results management, and portfolio management; (iii) oversight in implementing safeguards policy, financial management and promoting gender mainstreaming. The incumbent will report to Director General/Deputy Director General, CWRD and will supervise international, national, and administrative staff.
• Support CWRD Management in quality control in annual departmental workplan, work program and budget framework (WPBF), country operations business plans (COBPs) and other key results areas for the department, sector teams, and resident missions in line with ADB's Strategy 2030.
• Support CWRD Management and the operational teams in managing projects by providing guidance on concept papers and general management of the processing cycle - focusing on quality assurance, transaction structure best practice, innovation, results orientation, and compliance with ADB's policies and procedures, including among others, those related to governance, gender and safeguards.
• Provide support to CWRD Management in Quality Assurance Meetings, Portfolio Performance Reviews , Pre-Midterm Review Briefings, COBP Initiation Meetings, Operational Review Meeting and Annual Portfolio Performance Report and other tasks as required.
• Support CWRD Management on portfolio management through monitoring and providing guidance on managing projects at risks, contract awards and disbursements, the preparation of Project Completion Reports and Technical Assistance Completion Reports and providing support/guidance on portfolio cleanup exercises.
• Manage department portfolio through the conduct of qualitative and quantitative review of performance of each project, defining and executing corrective measures and action plans.
• Work closely with sector and country directors and respective Project Administration Heads (PAUs) on the identified action plans and report them to CWRD management during the conduct of portfolio review meetings.
• Lead in collecting analyzing and disseminating all data related to contract awards and disbursements, review the quality of project performance reports.
• Oversee the work undertaken by the divisions, units and country offices within CWRD in relation to the results agenda and work with all the teams on the measurement and reporting of results in the direction of the ADB-wide results framework.
• Lead the reviews of all design and monitoring frameworks for projects, programs and technical assistance across the department and perform as the main focal point within the department on Managing for Development Results related matters such as results indicators, data collection and country briefs.
• Oversee the work of various HQ and field-based experts working on financial management, procurement, safeguards, and gender activities ensuring compliance with all ADB rules and procedures and reporting compliance on financial management and safeguard/gender solutions to CWRD management
• Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master's degree or equivalent, in social sciences, business studies, or any development-related discipline. University degree in social sciences, business studies or any development-related discipline combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in relevant fields particularly in project processing and portfolio management, safeguards and other thematic issues.
- Superior management and leadership qualities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working on development in several countries
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.