Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.
Close relatives of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Thematic Advisory Service Cluster (SDTC) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work. SDTC is responsible for providing knowledge and operations support on thematic areas including emerging issues in ADB developing member countries (DMCs) that are linked to vulnerability, poverty and inequality.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Operations Assistant will provide administrative and operational support services for the Thematic Advisory Service Cluster's activities, collect and consolidate information across eight thematic groups and teams, and coordinate matters relating to the function of Chief Thematic Officer. The incumbent will report to the Chief Thematic Officer.
 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
- Manage the daily calendar of the Chief Thematic Officer including arrangements for mission travel outside the duty station.
- Ensures all correspondences and documents for Chief Thematic Officer's approval are correctly prepared and in compliance with ADB standards; monitors and checks the flow of documents for effective monitoring of division deadlines.
- Ensures all incoming mail and documents are logged, correctly assigned to staff and distributed on a timely basis, and that outgoing communications follow ADB standards and are delivered on time.
- Ensures that meeting materials for the Chief Thematic Officer are accurate and given on time.
- Ensures timely circulation of documents for review within SDTC and consolidates comments from the various teams; informs staff of instructions from the Chief Thematic Officer.
- Provides efficient administrative services by screening incoming telephone calls, taking accurate messages, dealing with queries from callers and visitors, referring the caller to the concerned staff, and establishing the nature of priority of requirements of unexpected visitors.
- Ensures effective OIC arrangements during Chief Thematic Officer's absence.
- Provides assistance in the application/interpretation of work area procedures, guidelines and formats to other operations assistants.
- Acts as coordinator for Leave Management System for attendance monitoring; and ensures adequate stocks of office supplies and computer requirements for the division.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience; familiarity in the operations of multilateral development banks is an advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Working knowledge of assigned area and ability to multitask
- Good document editing skills
- Advanced computer skills with sound knowledge of common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics software
- Able to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds
- Good interpersonal skills
- Thorough understanding of the role and function of the various organizations in ADB and a good general understanding of the organization's purpose is an advantage
- Able to liaise and work effectively with staff within the division and other departments, resident missions and partner organizations
- Good working knowledge of ADB's procedures, formats and standards relevant in the performance of assigned work is an advantage
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as constructive team member
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for AS5
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.