Close relatives (spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle) of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Department of Communications (DOC). DOC supports ADB Management's public communications and outreach strategies to raise the Bank's profile and position ADB as a knowledge bank. It works to communicate ADB's policies, and information on ADB operations and their impact on developing member countries, to internal and external audiences. It supports operational, knowledge and other operational support departments, and sector and thematic groups in assembling and presenting knowledge from their respective activities. It is also the focal point for all public information activities including building relations with media and managing the external website and Bank's publishing program.
Specifically, the position is assigned in the Knowledge Support Division (DCKD) of DOC. DCKD is responsible for harnessing knowledge content embedded in ADB's programs/ projects/ practices and various initiatives, and disseminating knowledge using different platforms and marketing tools.
The Senior Communications Specialist will: (i) write/edit speeches and other materials for the ADB President that demonstrate ADB as a trusted development partner; (ii) provide high-quality editing support to other DOC communication and editorial products; (iii) undertake content management and editing of ADB's public website; and (iv) support DCKD to capture, disseminate and measure the impact of ADB knowledge solutions.
The Senior Communications Specialist will report to Director, DCKD and supervise National and Administrative Staff.
- Enhance ADB's position as a thought leader by writing and/or editing the ADB President's speeches, op-eds and other works, in collaboration with relevant departments
- Ensure the draft President's speeches and key messages are consistent and aligned with ADB priorities
- Contribute to the development of key messages to raise the profile of ADB and its leaders
- Provide high-quality writing and editing support on a selected basis to other DOC editorial products
Content and Knowledge Management
- Plan, research and support the production of knowledge products on ADB priority topics, for multiplatform (web, social media and multimedia), coordinating with internal clients and partners
- Lead in identifying and re-purposing suitable content for web articles, blogs, and other DOC communication products and contribute to improved content on Adb.org
- Undertake review and edit content prior to web publication; and contribute to improved content on Adb.org that is relevant, fresh, mobile-friendly, rich in media types. Provide relevant advice to client departments/offices including field offices;
- Lead in the conceptualization and delivery of the divisional workflow to capture, disseminate, and measure the effectiveness of ADB knowledge solutions. Identify gaps and redundancies in workflow and suggest opportunities for improvement
- Provide advisory support to Director, DCKD on programs, initiatives and activities, to include marketing and dissemination of knowledge products
- Perform other related tasks that may be assigned by Director, DCKD
Relevant Experience and Requirements
- Master's Degree or equivalent, in Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, International Development, or related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- At least 10 years' relevant professional experience, including at international level, preferably in the Asia-Pacific region
- Good knowledge of development and communication issues in the Asia-Pacific context and familiarity with brand positioning for international organization/financing institutions
- Work experience in managing editorial process and conceptualizing and executing online packaging of content
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English are required
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.