IMPORTANT INFORMATIONClose relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sustainable Infrastructure Division (EASI) within the East Asia Department, which is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships on all matters concerning ADB operations with the People's Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia (MON) in the East Asia subregion, and with other multilateral and bilateral development agencies and other sources of development finance on matters relating to the subregion. EASI will specifically focus on the energy and transport sectors, low carbon development, and integrated solution for operations in PRC and MON in line with Strategy 2030.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Transport Specialist is responsible for: (i) formulating, articulating, and promoting policies and strategies for sustainable transport and logistics development in developing member countries (DMCs) in the East Asia region; (ii) leading teams in the identifying, designing, processing and administering loan and technical assistance (TA) projects, and ensuring economic soundness and consistency with ADB's policies and strategies; (iii) contributing to knowledge products and services, in accordance with the Country Partnership Strategies (CPS) for the developing member countries (DMCs) of the East Asia region and ADB's Strategy 2030; and (iv) serving as focal point for regional cooperation and integration activities. The incumbent will report to Director, EASI and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Research and analyze policies, strategies and innovative approaches to development in the transport, information and logistic sectors in the context of sustainable economic development and poverty reduction, in consultation with government agencies, development partners and Resident Missions (RMs).
- Participate in country teams and contribute to the development of Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and country operations business plans, including sector analysis, road map development, and pipelines of loan and TA projects.
- Serve as division focal point for ADB's activities on regional cooperation and integration including logistics and cross-border transport.
- Collaborate with other development partners in the transport, information and logistic sectors for consistency and harmonization of approach, exchange of experience, partnerships and cofinancing where appropriate.
- Supervise lending and non-lending operations in the transport sector in DMCs. This entails: leading and reviewing technical design of projects, implementation arrangements, procurement and capacity of executing agencies for the transport sector; providing advice to executing agencies on project preparation and administration, including ADB's policies and guidelines; and performing economic analysis and providing technical inputs for the identification, design, development, and processing of loan and TA projects in DMCs.
- Develop and implement new, multi-sector project concepts and designs that help DMCs in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement targets.
- Contribute substantially to knowledge building in the transport, logistics and information sector and keep abreast of the latest development and issues in the sector.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Engineering or other Transport related fields. University degree in Engineering or other Transport related field combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in the transport sector, including international work experience and exposure to the full project cycle (i.e. programming, project processing to project administration), at senior levels (e.g. leading projects)
- Proven application of expertise within a specific area, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
- Familiar with ADB processes and procedures in public sector operations
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.