1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC: "Gender dimension of sustainable consumption and production."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:Background: Sustainable consumption and production refers to the use of services and related products, which respond to basic needs and bring a better quality of life while minimizing the use of natural resources and toxic materials as well as the emissions of waste and pollutants over the life cycle of the service or product so as not to jeopardize the needs of future generations (UNEP, 2010). While the concept is not new, it has been generating increased attention as a framework for addressing the pressing issues of air, soil and water pollution, and overall environmental degradation. The link between gender equality and sustainable consumption and production has received less attention. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is supporting the People's Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia in their pathways to sustainable, inclusive and resilient development. To achieve this vision, ADB is focusing on seven strategic priorities, including accelerating progress in gender equality.
Scope of work: ADB has limited expertise in this emerging area and is looking for an intern that can conduct a thorough literature review of gender dimensions of sustainable consumption and production (SCP), with a special focus on cleaner production and the role of small and medium enterprises, sustainable resource management, and sustainable lifestyles. The intern will also assess the application of behavioral economic concepts to SCP. The intern will detail issues and best practice identified in the literature, gaps where more research is required, and assess the application of international experience to the context of PRC and Mongolia, and describe potential applications in ADB projects.
Output: The intern will prepare a knowledge product suitable for publication and will prepare at least one presentation with findings and recommendations.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:1. A study developed with publication quality describing (i) the links of SCP and gender equality with a focus on cleaner production among small and medium enterprises, sustainable resource management, and sustainable lifestyles; (ii) the applicability of international experience to the PRC and Mongolia; (iii) potential applications to ADB projects in these two countries. 2. At least one presentation of findings and recommendations.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in a relevant area, such as public policy, natural resource governance, behavior economics.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Experience in gender and development in the context of natural resource management/natural resource governance, experience with the use of behaviors economics concepts.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).