1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:"The intern will review the state of vulnerability and adequacy of social protection in the Pacific particularly the existing social protection programs in Tonga, Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Fiji and provide recommendations on the overall gaps to be addressed and identify innovative social protection models feasible in the country context."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:The assignment will assess the state and adequacy of social protection measures to address poverty and vulnerability in the Pacific. It will do a stock-take exercise and gap analysis of relevant formal and informal social protection system in selected Pacific countries such as Tonga, PNG and Fiji, including measures on how social welfare and vulnerability elements are integrated in key sectors, such as climate change, to ensure the welfare of the vulnerable groups are being addressed. Further, the assessment will identify best practices and lessons learned from the experience of other countries which fit the selected Pacific countries and provide recommendations on innovative social protection models feasible in the region.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
(i) Stock-take and gap analysis of relevant formal and informal social protection system to address poverty and vulnerability in selected Pacific countries such as Tonga, PNG and Fiji.(ii) Identification of two or more innovative social protection programs feasible in Tonga, PNG and Fiji and pre-requisites for adaption and sustainability.(iii) Recommendation on how welfare and vulnerability consideration could be integrated in climate change work and other ADB-supported sectors in the Pacific.(iv) Presentation of research findings before the end of the assignment.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:Doctoral or Master's Degree candidate in social development or related field in which the candidate has worked on social protection issues.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Involvement in social protection projects or poverty programs will be desirable.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).