1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:"Human Capital and Skill Needs for Smart Cities."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:The assignment will explore the implications of the rapid growth of smart cities in the context of urban development for human capital needs. There has been considerable adoption of ‘smart grids', ‘smart utilities', ‘smart transport' and other efforts as cities strengthen their growth potential as centers of economic activity the assimilation of new technologies, including ICT tools is leading to transformations in the delivery of public services and in the running of business enterprises.
The assignment includes the following:- research and analysis on anticipated requirements for human capital at different levels as countries establish smart cities with smart utilities and services. The expansion of e-government is adding weight to new paradigms of economic, business and financial activities. The research will address these emerging needs.- secondary data collection on the emergence of smart cities, policy frameworks and strategies that support the development of smart cities.- small scale primary data collection on critical areas of smart city development particularly with a view to assess the needs for smart city workforce.- skill needs and gaps analysis in relation to the expansion of smart cities with implications for different sectors- analysis of ongoing work by relevant agencies, including particularly concerned country governments in establishing smart cities and the anticipated demand from employers for knowledge and skills.- assessment of demand for employers for service providers on skills and talent specific to smart cities, smart utilities and transport.- articulation of implications for education and training institutions in supporting the timely development of smart cities in different geographies.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:- A research report outlining: (a) human capital needs for the growing number of smart cities in Asia; (b) education and skill requirements for the workforce in the context of services in smart cities; (c) implications for preparing the talent pool while investing in the development of smart cities;- A seminar presentation that draws on leading work in the area of smart city development and implications for education and training, drawing on ADB's work as well as other leading agencies in the region.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in a relevant discipline - social sciences, engineering or development economics.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:- The candidate should demonstrate evidence of having participated in research projects and have research assistance experience.- The candidate should be familiar with development issues in the Asia and Pacific region.- The candidate should have knowledge of research tools and techniques and be able to undertake the tasks independently.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).