1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:"Sustainable coastal and marine tourism in Asia and the Pacific."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:A Sustainable Tourism Intern is required to undertake research, analysis and knowledge work on sustainable coastal and marine tourism development in Asia and the Pacific. This will support implementation of ADB's recently launched Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies, which includes sustainable tourism as one of four focus areas.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 26 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:(i) Literature review of coastal and marine tourism states, trends, opportunities and constraints in Asia and the Pacific.(ii) Summary report of ADB's ‘sustainable tourism' portfolio to date.(iii) Literature review of coastal and marine tourism revenue models, including their sustainability, development and environmental impact, and suitability (e.g. for different types of tourism and in different development, political, cultural, socio-economic and geographic contexts).(iv) At least three country case studies of coastal and marine tourism development opportunities.(v) Summary research papers and matrices of a) partner programs; and b) key tourism or environmental standards, accreditations or measures for major activity types and their effectiveness in different development / capacity contexts. (vi) Co-authorship of at least three knowledge products on sustainable coastal and marine tourism in Asia and the Pacific.(vii) Presentation of research findings to ADB staff.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program with specialization in tourism, environmental management, environmental economics, natural resources management, social sciences, international development.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Research/academic or professional experience in sustainable tourism development.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).