1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:"Pollution Reduction in Coastal Cities in the Philippines for Healthy Oceans."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:An Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies, along with a new Oceans Financing initiative was launched by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in May 2019 to support the protection and restoration of marine ecosystems and promote inclusive livelihood opportunities. Four focus areas are included, namely (i) blue economy - creating inclusive livelihood and business opportunities in sustainable tourism and fisheries; (ii) ecosystem management - protecting and restoring coastal and marine ecosystems and key rivers; (iii) reducing marine pollution- reducing land-based sources of marine pollution including plastics, wastewater, and agricultural runoff; and (iv) sustainable infrastructure - improving sustainability in port and coastal infrastructure development.
In line with the Action Plan as well as the Livable Cities Operational Priority under ADB's Strategy 2030, the intern will conduct desk-based research in consultation with relevant stakeholders where possible, and prepare a briefing paper including a presentation focusing on strengthening policy and regulatory frameworks for pollution management and good governance of coastal and marine resources in the Philippines. The intern will present relevant case studies of a limited number of coastal cities, which will be selected under guidance by the supervisor to support ADB's operations. He/she will also review experience in relevant ADB-financed and other projects to draw short-, medium- and long-term recommendations.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:- Better understanding of experience in pollution reduction in coastal cities in the Philippines, and where applicable, Asia, through ADB-financed and other projects; and - Short-, medium- and long-term recommendations pollution management and good governance of coastal and marine resources in the Philippines.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program with specialization in Environmental management, integrated coastal resources management, integrated waste management. .
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Practical experience in pollution management in improved sanitation and wastewater management; integrated solid waste management and the promotion of circular economy principles (i.e. designing-out waste, keeping resources in use for as long as possible, recovering and regenerating materials) and sustainable land-use practices in coastal areas.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).