1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:"Depending on time available, one or more of the following: Thoughts on the implementation of ADB's Operational Plans, Gender Mainstreaming, Healthy Oceans, strengthening ADB's profile as a Knowledge Institution, and ADB's Disaster and Emergency Assistance Policy."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:Supervised by the Office of the Secretary and working with an office of a Member of the Board of Directors, the intern will be expected to actively participate in general work, including analysis of proposals and/or preparation of statements. This provides a perspective of the overall mandate, objectives, and workings of the ADB and Board's oversight obligations.Five specific tasks are proposed with expected delivery to be agreed upon depending on the length of the internship period:
i. Operational PlansSince the Corporate Results Framework (CRF) is scheduled for approval on 13 September 2019, and the Operational Plans (OPs) for Strategy 2030 will be elaborated thereafter, the intern could come up with ideas on how to implement the OPs especially at a cross-cutting thematic level. Several of the OPs deal with cross-cutting issues and themes and it would be challenging to implement this while at the same time have measurable targets. Another yet related aspect how to harmonize these with other MDBs.
ii. Gender MainstreamingThe Board of Directors considers gender mainstreaming as one of the topics that should be given high importance in policies, projects, etc. Since most of the concerns on gender in past projects deal with having measurable targets on gender, monitoring of gender results, and having ambitious enough targets, the intern could help to develop a mechanism on developing gender targets—taking into consideration ADB's existing gender documents (in the Operations Manual and ADB's Gender Policy)—what can be done to integrate these into ADB's existing policy documents. It is of interest to also find out how to ensure gender equality in male-dominated societies/project areas.
iii. ADB's Knowledge Policy (Approaches to further strengthen ADB's profile as a knowledge institution)With the launch of Strategy 2030, and ADB's goal of becoming a knowledge bank, the development of ADB's knowledge action plan is crucial. To contribute greatly to the elaboration of the action plan, it would be beneficial to determine ADB's current standing as a knowledge institution in comparison to other prominent knowledge institutions. It would be helpful to determine whether it is better to concentrate mainly on ADB's strengths (be experts in selected areas where ADB has a comparative advantage) over striving to offer expertise in all fields.
iv. Healthy Oceans / Marine ProtectionSince ADB is only starting out in this field, it is deemed necessary to do research and learn more on what has been done and what more has to be done. Given that ADB launched its Action Plan on Healthy Oceans in Fiji during the Annual General Meeting held in May 2019, this would be an opportunity to study and see what other MDBs/IFIs are doing or have done in this aspect. ADB can use this information to harmonize its next steps/goals and find opportunities on how to be able to add more value on this. Another aspect to be considered is how this can be integrated in future projects, e.g. on protection of coastal areas and waste and wastewater treatment.
v. Review of ADB's Disaster and Emergency Assistance PolicyADB's Disaster and Emergency Assistance Policy is currently listed as “up for public consultation” on ADB's website. Since there have been quite a number of disaster and emergency assistance at the Board over the past years, it seems recommendable to revisit this and determine areas which are no longer up-to-date and therefore require revisions (for instance given the increasing number of severe weather events and the ongoing rise of sea levels, etc.).
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 13-17 weeks
- Timing: January 2020
NOTE:ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:Written reports and oral presentations as described above. A performance assessment will be provided at the end of the assignment.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in economics or international relations, if feasible with specializations in development cooperation. Women are encouraged to apply.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Some prior experience in development cooperation and affection to Asia and the Pacific would be an asset.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:1. Curriculum vitae (CV)2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
ESSAY QUESTIONS:(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB. (2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).