This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is an entry-level recruitment program to attract highly qualified and motivated individuals to ADB. YPP provides the foundation for a challenging and rewarding professional career in an international development environment and offers a range of opportunities to develop professional skills and understanding of ADB's operations, policies and procedures and contribute to the achievement of ADB's Strategy 2030.
The assignment is in the Office of the Chief Economist and Director General (EROD) within the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD). The ERCD, led by the Bank's Chief Economist and Director General, is supporting the Bank's mission through providing macroeconomic forecasts, producing statistical databases, undertaking country diagnostic studies and other analytical work, and fostering regional cooperation and integration.
The selected Young Professional will contribute to the development of knowledge products on policy-relevant issues of strategic interest to ADB and its developing member countries (DMCs). The incumbent will undertake collaborative research in macroeconomics and development with ADB specialists and external researchers on topics such as debt sustainability, employment and aging society, and behavioral economics. The incumbent will report to the designated Senior International Staff and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
• Contribute to the corporate priority research on debt sustainability analysis
• Conduct research on employment tracking emerging impacts of IR4.0 and aging on employment, including developing methodology to assess the impact of ADB's operations on jobs.
• Contribute to research work on behavioral economics, impact evaluation, and other economic development issues of importance to ADB's Management and other stakeholders.
• Work independently and in research teams to produce high-quality research papers.
• Provide support to Management and other departments through preparation of briefing notes, speeches, and operational research papers.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master's degree in Economics or relevant fields.
• Minimum of 2 years of solid experience undertaking research in relevant institutions. This requirement is waived for candidates with or expected to obtain a PhD.
• International research experience outside of their home country is an advantage.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Strong quantitative, analytical, and conceptual skills in economics is essential.
• Demonstrated expertise in economic research on development.
• Publications records in economic research would be an advantage.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 1.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.