Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is responsible for managing the Prevention and Compliance Division (AIPD) within the Office of Anticorruption and Integrity (OAI). OAI leads the integrity initiatives of ADB through the conduct of investigations of allegations of integrity violations or misconduct (including bullying and harassment), project procurement-related reviews, integrity due diligence, and knowledge-sharing with ADB's stakeholders. In addition, OAI implements ADB's tax integrity policy at country and project levels.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Director, AIPD, will lead in proactively addressing integrity violations in ADB-funded, supported and administered activities and in providing strategic direction for and oversight of OAI's proactive review, integrity compliance, and knowledge services functions. AIPD's principal duties and responsibilities under the three functions are set out below. The incumbent will report to the Head, OAI and will supervise International staff, National staff and Administrative staff.
a. Proactive Review Function
- Manages the strategic planning for, and conduct of proactive integrity reviews, of active and ongoing projects (project procurement-related reviews or PPRRs) and recommends internal control improvements that will mitigate or eliminate opportunities for integrity violations.
- Leads the conduct of follow up reviews and special reviews to evaluate the implementation status of the PPRR recommendations and enhance their impact on project implementation.
- Oversees the conduct of integrity risk management reviews (IRMRs) of projects in ADB's pipeline to identify fraud and corruption risks and propose risk-mitigating measures.
- Guides the review and provision of comments on risk assessments prepared by regional departments (RDs) as well as portfolio review missions.
- Supervises the development of integrity risks database to capture the information and lessons from the PPRRs, follow up reviews, IRMRs, and other reviews conducted.
b. Integrity Compliance Function
Actively assists ADB to strengthen internal controls that safeguards ADB's funds from integrity-related, money laundering (ML) and financing of terrorism (FT) risks, including in the areas of procurement and contracting. Oversees the provision of independent advice on money laundering and financing of terrorism, tax integrity and other integrity risks, in accordance with ADB's policies and guidelines.
Leads ex ante integrity due diligence (IDD) reviews (including tax IDD) and risk analyses to facilitate ADB's ability to assess integrity, tax transparency and/or ML/FT concerns in both sovereign and non-sovereign operations of ADB, as well as in ADB's institutional operations, in accordance with relevant policies, procedures and guidelines. IDD reviews also cover the conduct of pre-employment and on-going employment integrity-related screenings.
Leads OAI's efforts to enhance, update, and monitor the implementation of ADB's policies and procedures on IDD, tax integrity, and combating money laundering and the financing of terrorism; ensures that international best practice standards on IDD and combating money laundering and the financing of terrorism are appropriately adopted in ADB's project-related and institutional operations; and strengthens staff capacity to undertake IDD.
Manages, develops, and monitors OAI's Integrity Compliance Program.
Ensures the adoption of an effective program for prevention and identification of integrity violations in ADB-financed projects and among ADB staff by appropriate interventions at various stages of the project cycle; and develops and updates relevant prevention tools, including guidelines, presentations, methodologies, etc., in coordination with the relevant departments/offices.
c. Knowledge Services Function
Guides the development and delivery of presentations, conduct of meetings, seminars, trainings and workshops to foster an understanding of ADB's anticorruption policy and procedures, and monitors compliance with OAI's mandatory courses for ADB staff. Oversees OAI's various knowledge-sharing platforms, communication channels and databases, including the development of contents, design of the infrastructure, and management thereof in close coordination with internal and external stakeholders. Develops, prepares, implements, manages, and monitors OAI's technical assistance (TA) program. Collaborates with OAI internal (AIOD, AIID) and external (ADB departments and offices, executing/implementing agencies, private sectors, civil society, academia, development partners and other thought leaders in the field of anticorruption and integrity) stakeholders in identifying, developing, and disseminating OAI knowledge products. Ensures that the results and impact of OAI knowledge services are analyzed and converted into appropriate datasets/infographics, and that the evaluation feedback are shared. Oversees the preparation and prompt submission of the required information and statistics on OAI's activities. d. Anticorruption Support
Guides the development and delivery of presentations, conduct of meetings, seminars, trainings and workshops to foster an understanding of ADB's anticorruption policy and procedures, and monitors compliance with OAI's mandatory courses for ADB staff.
Oversees OAI's various knowledge-sharing platforms, communication channels and databases, including the development of contents, design of the infrastructure, and management thereof in close coordination with internal and external stakeholders.
Develops, prepares, implements, manages, and monitors OAI's technical assistance (TA) program.
Collaborates with OAI internal (AIOD, AIID) and external (ADB departments and offices, executing/implementing agencies, private sectors, civil society, academia, development partners and other thought leaders in the field of anticorruption and integrity) stakeholders in identifying, developing, and disseminating OAI knowledge products.
Ensures that the results and impact of OAI knowledge services are analyzed and converted into appropriate datasets/infographics, and that the evaluation feedback are shared.
Oversees the preparation and prompt submission of the required information and statistics on OAI's activities.
d. Anticorruption Support
- Oversees AIPD team support to AIID investigators, as needed.
e. Staff Supervision
Leads and manages multi-disciplinary teams and ensures the overall quality of work.
Manages the AIPD and supervises the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Provides coaching and mentoring to teams and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Ensures that the team is highly motivated.
- Provides regular feedback to the Head, OAI on AIPD's activities.
- Undertakes other work as may be assigned by the Head, OAI related to carrying out of the Job Purpose.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Auditing, Law, Finance, Project Management or related fields; University degree in Business Administration, Auditing, Law, Finance, Project Management or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s or relevant professional experience may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree
- Professional qualifications such as Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or similar qualifications/certifications are an advantage
- At least 15 years of relevant experience demonstrating progression of responsibilities, including leading projects, conducting capacity-building activities, and experience in implementing development projects
- Experience in development work and operations is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including the ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings, and recommendations at senior levels and to produce complex and compelling briefs, reports, papers, etc.
- Established reputation for integrity, sound judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing with others, externally and internally
- Ability to perform under pressure and interact with others in a diplomatic and professional manner at all times
- Ability to balance multiple work priorities effectively and adapt priorities
- Demonstrated leadership (applying interpersonal influence to inspire others to move in a meaningful direction with competence and commitment), teamwork (working with others to achieve more effective results), and conceptualization (developing viable solutions based on an understanding of institutional perspective and needs) skills
- International experience required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 7/8
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.