1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Pollution control and circular economy for healthy ocean in Asia and the Pacific."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
An Ocean Health Intern is required to undertake research, analysis and knowledge work on waste management, focused on the fisheries sector. This will support implementation of ADB's Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies, with specific focus on understanding challenges and solutions to marine debris and associated waste management issues from the fishing sector and ports. It is expected that the outputs from the assignment links and contributes to the work on circular economy, green ports, and marine plastics, which the Environment Thematic Group conducts.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8-12 weeks
- Timing: June 2020
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
a. Literature review of status and trends of pollution from the fisheries sector.
b. Summary of good practices in the fisheries sector.
c. Presentation of research findings to ADB staff, including a summary report and blog.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program specializing in environmental management, natural resources management, public health, sustainable development, or other relevant discipline.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
a. Work experience in environmental management, sustainable development, or related field.
b. Research experience on international development in any of the following fields: environmental management, resource management, sustainability development, or related fields
c. Ability to work in a team
d. Skills in report writing and communication
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).