Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development and Water Division (SAUW) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership, innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAUW is responsible for sector support for urban development and water.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To provide operational and technical support in reviewing, disclosing and monitoring of SAUW projects compliance with ADB Safeguard Policy Statement's environmental safeguards requirements. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff.
- Reviews draft, updates and revises environmental safeguard documents submitted to ADB for approval to meet ADB Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) requirements, or specify further revisions required.
- Supports SAUW's environment specialist in reviewing environmental assessment reports, safeguards monitoring reports, evaluation reports, project progress reports and project completion reports, and assesses the quality of compliance with ADB SPS environmental safeguard requirements. Prepares recommendations for follow-up actions.
- Participates, as required, in missions by compiling relevant project data, visiting the project site, discussing with the executing agency (EA), implementing agency (IA), consultants and affected groups, and providing inputs in the preparation of project processing/administration documentation as well as providing guidance/actions required to respond to any observations during the implementation; Reviews country policies on environmental management.
- Provides technical assistance to EA/IAs and external monitors to improve their monitoring, evaluation, supervision and reporting of environmental management plans implementation; Conducts trainings to EA/IAs on ADB's SPS requirements on environmental safeguards.
- Contributes independently in Project Completion Report missions and assists in evaluating the project environmental safeguards and writing the relevant parts of the Project Completion Report.
- Liaises with the Environment and Safeguards Division of the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department in processing compliance documentation.
- Maintains SAUW safeguards monitoring systems as appropriate and follow up actions required generated by the system including the issuance of a reminder to submit environmental monitoring reports as stipulated.
- Provides technical information to support the preparation of special reports, knowledge products, and studies including dissemination of best practices and lessons learnt from the implementation; Supports internal and external safeguard communication and assist in organizing conferences and workshops; Maintains a repository of reference materials under SAUW archives.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent's workplan. Upon guidance and induction, incumbent may also be requested to assist SAUW's social safeguards officer in monitoring social safeguards compliance for the division.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in environmental science, environmental management, environmental engineering or any related field; preferably with advanced training;
- At least 6 years work experience in a safeguards-related field, with emphasis on environmental management;
- Experience in applying expertise in an international setting, preferably South Asia;
- Familiarity with ADB Safeguard Policy Statement environmental safeguard requirements, or those of similar multilateral development banks ; experience in working on the urban and water sector projects is an advantage.
- Proficiency in environmental assessment and other related tools/strategies;
- Aptitude to perform a high degree of analytical and conceptual thinking;
- Working knowledge of ADB-adopted computer applications;
- Familiarity with environmental issues associated with project processing and administration in ADB projects would be an advantage;
- Good oral and written English communication skills;
- Able to guide Administrative Support (AS) staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review; Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.