Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
The position is assigned in the Energy Division (SAEN) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAEN, is responsible for energy sector support in SARD's jurisdiction.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Manage the project administration unit of SAEN. Lead the planning and conduct of periodic review of the status and progress of loans, grants, and Technical Assistance (TA) projects. Oversee the identification of implementation problems and execution of corrective actions to address and improve portfolio performance in general in the energy sector. Utilize the division's collective experience and knowledge gained through portfolio management to enhance sector assessment, country programming efforts, project/TA processing, and continuous improvement of project administration practices. Lead and guide junior staff in the formulation of sector operational policies and strategies, engagement with developing member countries (DMCs) governments and project execution and/or implementing agencies on project implementation issues and project administration issues. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy. The incumbent will report to Director SAEN and will supervise national and administrative staff.
- Oversee the preparation and updating of the portfolio projections, plans, and annual targets, e.g., contract awards, loan disbursements, Project Completion Report (PCR)/TA Completion Report (TCR) progress.
- Lead the scheduling and organization of project review missions and participate and contribute in country portfolio review missions.
- Undertake the process of sector level portfolio improvements and capacity development of key government institutions to address the client Government's reform agenda as well as portfolio management and performance.
- Lead the monitoring of SAEN's portfolio of ongoing loans and TAs, including the progress of implementation and achievement of intended outputs/goals/development objectives, and status of compliance with covenants.
- Endorse review missions' Back-to-Office Reports (BTORs), outgoing communications, and documents related to portfolio management and ensure the quality and consistency with Project Administration Instructions (PAIs), and other relevant guidelines, instructions and policies.
- Liaise with ADB Resident Mission staff and counterparts in executing agencies on matters related to project implementation and administration
- Review quality of project field operations, with focus on problem or potential problem projects and oversee and provide guidance and advice for the identification and implementation of action items needed to resolve implementation issues and problems.
- Coordinate efforts in strengthening capacity of project executing and implementing agencies in project implementation, including project accounting, disbursement and procurement procedures and lead capacity development by arranging, organizing and conducting various capacity development programs for the client countries and their PMU staff.
- Mentor staff in project processing and administration, by providing ad-hoc advice and guidance on project design and sector issues, and participating in their missions as and when necessary.
- Maintain the division's collective experience and knowledge gained through portfolio management for sharing with ADB PAU Head Network.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's Degree or equivalent, in engineering, economics, project management or other related fields. University degree in engineering, economics, project management or other related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 12 years of relevant and significant professional experience in project processing and/or project administration, international experience working in several countries.
- Proven leadership qualities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.