Intern - Macroeconomics Research Division - 2123
Job Vacancy | Tuesday, February 2, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"COVID-19 and Asia’s Digital Divide."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The need to access digital technologies has never been more keenly felt than after the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, which has dramatically reshaped the way in which many of us work, keep in touch, go to school, and shop for essentials. But the lifeline provided by technologies is only available to those who can access them. At the end of 2019, 2 billion people or 46% of developing Asia’s population still remain off-line. It has never been more important to bridge the digital divide. At the same time, the COVID-19 is prompting a digital revolution. We have vaulted years forward in consumer and business digital adoption in a matter of weeks. It is widely believed that this trend of rapid migration to digital technologies driven by the pandemic will continue into the recovery and become the norm. It is imperative to understand how the landscape of digitalization is altered by COVID-19 and what it implies for long-term economic and social development.
The intern is expected to review the relevant literature, collect data, and implement empirical analysis.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2021
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- ADB working paper
- ADO background paper
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in economics or finance.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
The skill of advanced quantitative analysis is needed.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).