Experts Pool: Senior Universal Health Coverage Specialist (Service Delivery)
Job Vacancy | Wednesday, July 14, 2021
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Health Sector Group in the Sector Advisory Service Cluster (SDSC-HEA) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. It is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development). The SDSC-HEA specifically provides knowledge, innovation and technical guidance on health sector work and health-related concerns in non-health sector and thematic work.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Universal Health Coverage Specialist (Service Delivery) will support scaling up operations in the health sector by supporting efforts of DMCs improve their respective health service delivery systems and ensure that there will be adequate number of health care providers giving needed quality health care services to the covered population. This will include supporting DMCs: (i) improve health outcomes, especially for the poor and most vulnerable, with particular attention to outcomes related to expanding Universal Health Coverage (UHC) including the increasingly important challenge of non-communicable diseases; (ii) expand access to high-quality health services, interventions and technologies that give the most value for money; (iii) transform their hospitals and other health facilities become more responsive to increasing NCDs and elderly patients, and climate change; (iv) harness the private health care delivery sector; (v) determine interventions that will ensure adequate production and staffing of health workers in health facilities; (vi) appropriately exploit innovations and technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of health service delivery systems; and (vii) ensure that all other delivery of other needed components of health service delivery from pharmaceuticals, diagnostic equipment, and others are appropriately planned and implemented. In addition, he/she will work in close collaboration with education and social protection; water and sanitation; transport; climate change and disaster resilience; and regional cooperation and integration teams to support the implement Strategy 2030 and particularly Operational Priority 1. The expert will report to the Chief of Health Sector Group and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
• Assist in project identification, development, and processing of transactions on the different aspects of health service delivery for ADB investment
• Identify critical gaps in knowledge and identify opportunities to address those gaps in health sector delivery regionally and in DMCs
• Lead or contribute to the generation of 'cutting edge' knowledge on the different aspects of health sector delivery in Asia and the Pacific
• Review and contribute to health sector-specific policy and other documents
• Collaborate with operational departments to support multi-sectoral approaches for improving health sector delivery systems of DMCs
• Build and maintain relations with operational departments and networks to enhance intersectoral collaboration to support the implementation of Strategy 2030
• Lead or support missions and supervise projects in health service delivery; oversee the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to ADB standards and manage in collaboration with sector agencies and donors
• Provide high level policy advice to the government in the area of health sector delivery reform; offer international comparative perspectives and recommends policy options and implementation strategies
• Provide advice and guidance to project officers and DMCs stakeholders who are developing COVID-19 specific projects
• Review existing technical guidance for investments developed by partner organizations and develop guidance, as appropriate for future investments in strengthening health systems and UHC
• Represent ADB at key local, regional and international meetings
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- At least a master's degree or equivalent in medicine, public health, economics or related fields with a health focus. A PhD would be an advantage.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in the health service delivery in Asia and the Pacific.
- A drive for results, including a proven track record of high standards/accountability for work products, meeting deadlines, an ability to prioritize tasks within his/her work program and strategies for working collectively with others on the team to deliver products of the highest caliber.
- Experience working with regional or international development organizations covering several countries
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues in a complex and politically sensitive environment
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong people management skills including team building skills and ability to lead and motivate teams (coaching and mentoring) and resolving conflicts within and across teams.
- Demonstrated willingness to seek out and acquire new knowledge to contribute to his/her work program as well as having the interest and ability to communicate and present information and ideas in a clear, organized fashion to others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.