Intern - People's Republic of China Resident Mission - 2134
Job Vacancy | Tuesday, February 2, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Sharing of the PRC’s lessons and experiences with other countries."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Possible topics may include but not limited to the following:
• Evolution and innovations of e-commerce in the PRC.
This can be on a general or specific topic. The latter for example can focus on how Pinduoduo’s unique business model and innovations target the agricultural sector thereby lifting rural communities out of poverty.
• Evolution and innovations of e-payments system in the PRC.
This can be two blogs, one focuses on the evolution and innovations of e-payment, and another on the technical aspects of how accounts are setup and funds are transferred between banks, Alipay or WeChat pay, merchants, and other related parties.
• Lessons from the PRC poverty reduction efforts in the past 40 years.
Lessons are usually thought of as successes, but equally important are failures. Given the limited length of a blog, this topic can be written up as two blogs—one examining the successes, and the other failures.
• Food Security in the PRC and Its Implications for Other Developing Countries
The PRC has 18% of the world population, 8% of the world arable land, and frequent natural disasters, and yet it has achieved an overall level of food security of over 90%. A policy brief or a series of blogs can be written to examine how the PRC has successfully done this despite the odds and what lessons other developing countries can learn from its experience.
• Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in the PRC.
The PRC aims to hit peak emissions before 2030 and for carbon neutrality by 2060. ADB is working with the PRC to achieve this target. A series of blogs can review current and future initiatives that the PRC is undertaking keeping in mind the size and scope of its interventions will have valuable lessons for other developing countries. These initiatives may include transformation of the PRC’s energy sector, smart urban energy systems, green transportation system, financing for energy efficiency investments, reforestation, and recycling.
The intern will help produce knowledge outputs to be disseminated through the ADB-PRC Regional Knowledge Sharing Initiative (RKSI) website. The knowledge outputs are short written or multimedia pieces, such as, blogs (about 800 words), policy briefs1 (3,000 words), vlogs (several minutes), and infographics. The overall aim is to share and educate PRC related stories, lessons, and innovations with other countries.
Jointly established by the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB), RKSI is an ongoing program to facilitate the exchange of development-related knowledge among ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs). It draws primarily on the PRC’s experience in promoting rapid economic growth and social transformation over the past 40 years.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2021
4. LOCATION: ADB People's Republic of China Resident Mission, Beijing, PRC (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
Knowledge products are as described above.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program with specialization in economics, public policy, international relations, management, commerce, arts, multimedia, and/or photography.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Interested and knowledgeable about the PRC development stories, and passionate about sharing them with others.
• Reliable and able to work independently.
• Very good in writing. Given that blogs are short pieces, it is very important that information is readily and succinctly presented to a general audience.
• Familiar with the Chinese language. Many materials are only available in Chinese.
• Familiar with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and/or a similar software, and creative in design if a chosen output is infographic.
• Familiar with video production if a chosen output is vlog.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).