Deputy Director General
Job Vacancy | Thursday, July 15, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of the Chief Economist and Director General (EROD) within the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD), which supports the Bank’s mission through providing macroeconomic forecasts, producing statistical databases, undertaking country diagnostic studies and other analytical work, and fostering regional cooperation and integration.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Deputy Director General will provide support to the Chief Economist and Director General in overseeing the planning, implementation, and completion of the department’s work plan, ensuring quality of work outputs, managing and supervising staff and planning and monitoring resource requirements of the department; provide technical advice on ERCD’s operational support, the areas of business process reform, resource mobilization and allocation, and ensuring achievement of departmental objectives; and work within a broad concept and framework and contribute to the setting of the department’s directions and strategy. The incumbent will report to the Chief Economist and Director General and will supervise International Staff, National Staff and Administrative Staff
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Support the Chief Economist and Director General in planning, coordinating, and monitoring ADB’s operations, including the preparation of work program and budget frameworks, and operational resource parameters.
- Support the Chief Economist and Director General in implementation of ADB’s Cultural Transformation Initiative.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and supervision of departmental work plans.
- Recommend improvements in the business processes of the department to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure that operational activities are in line with established strategic agenda, operational policies, and operating principles.
- Provide advice to Management on all aspects of ADB’s operational activities.
- Provide quality control for ERCD’s work outputs and ensure that key result areas are met.
- Support the Chief Economist and Director General in the management and operations of ERCD; budget requirements; strategic departmental staffing plan updates; operational aspects of human resources (recruitment, staff movement, performance management including motivation of department staff and handling of staff management issues); implementation of human resources initiatives in ERCD; and other matters as may be assigned by the Chief Economist and Director General.
- Oversee the department’s TA Program, both in terms of programming of new TAs and administration of ongoing TAs.
- Oversee the design and processing of technical assistance (TA) projects to ensure quality, innovation, results orientation, and compliance with ADB's policies and procedures.
- Lead, monitor, follow up on and undertake, for projects involving TA approvals, engagement of consultants, procurement, and disbursements.
- Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of their work.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to teams and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Doctorate degree or equivalent in economics or related field
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, with evidence of high quality research output and track record of high quality publications in international peer-reviewed professional journals
- Experience in working on development issues in multiple countries of the Asian and Pacific region
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, Management, Board members, and external partners
- Excellent interpersonal skills to lead and manage a team of highly qualified professional staff, national officers, and administrative staff
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead teams of researchers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience of working in several countries
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 9.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.