Principal Transport Specialist
Job Vacancy | Wednesday, July 14, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Transport and Communications Division (CWTC) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. CWTC helps build transport infrastructure and provides technical assistance (TA) to support transport sector development in the Central and West Asia region. CWTC also develops strategic regional plans for transport and trade facilitation infrastructure and policy directions.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Transport Specialist will lead ADB activities in CWRD to support Central and West Asia region countries’ transport sector policy reforms and investments, through policy dialogue and provision of financial and technical assistance. He/She will perform three key tasks: (i) identify, develop, implement and administer selected loans, grants, TA projects with higher levels of complexity; (ii) manage CWTC’s overall project portfolio through identification of implementation problems and execution of corrective actions; and (iii) lead the development of assistance project/program pipeline by utilizing CWTC’s collective knowledge and experience in project processing and portfolio management. The incumbent will report to Director, CWTC and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Lead the development of policy and strategies for the transport sector in DMCs in consultation with relevant government agencies, other stakeholders, and Resident Missions (RMs).
- Lead the development, processing, implementation and administration of loan, grant and TA projects which require policy, institutional and operational reforms and use of innovative approaches in advancing sector transformation.
- Administer complex loan/grant and technical assistance projects with sectoral and thematic area of focus.
- Lead the monitoring, periodic review and progress reporting of project/program implementation, compliance with covenants, achievement of division’s annual portfolio targets, and the achievement of the desired project/sector outcomes.
- Provide guidance and advice to improve portfolio performance and identifies actions needed to resolve project implementation issues and problems. Oversees the execution of actions to address project implementation problems.
- Lead country programming activities for the transport sector and ensure that operational strategies and programs for the sector are adequately reflected in the resulting country programming documents.
- Collaborate with other development partners in the transport sector for consistency and harmonization of approach, exchange of experience, partnership and cofinancing where appropriate.
- Ensure that lessons learned in project administration are reflected in the design of new projects and communicated properly to key stakeholders.
- Ensure quality and consistency of reports, project documents and communications related to the division’s portfolio management.
- Provide advice on ADB policies, guidelines, practices on project administration to internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in transport/civil engineering, transport economics, or other related fields. Bachelor’s degree in transport/civil engineering, economics or related fields, combined with at least 5 years specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience in project processing and project administration and sector evaluation, including international experience working in several countries.
- Proven leadership qualities and track record in successfully leading teams and coaching staff.
- Good knowledge of transport sector operations, preferably in Central and West Asia region.
- Procurement Accreditation Skills Scheme (PASS) accreditation preferred (non-accredited applicants may be considered though will be required to complete accreditation within one year of appointment).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.