Chief Sector Officer
Job Vacancy | Thursday, July 15, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sector Advisory Service Cluster (SDSC) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). The SDCC provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The SDSC is responsible for providing policy advice, operational support, and knowledge expertise in mainstreaming priorities in the education, energy, finance, health, transport, urban, and water sectors in ADB operations.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Chief Sector Officer leads the planning, implementation and supervision of the Sector Advisory Service Cluster’s vision, goals, and work plan that focus on administrative support to Sector Groups (SGs), coordination among SGs and with Thematic Groups on cross sector/thematic issues, consistency across SGs operations, financial resource mobilization for SGs, external and internal relations, and global/regional knowledge fora/ platform. The incumbent will report to the Director General, SDCC and will supervise International Staff, National Staff and Administrative Staff.
• Support the Director General in the department-wide implementation of corporate-wide initiatives and activities
• Lead, establish and cascade the cluster's vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas in support of SDCC goals and in line with ADB's corporate objectives
• Lead the planning, implementation, supervision and monitoring of work plans including identifying key priorities of the cluster, coordinating with Thematic Groups in implementing cross-sector-thematic initiatives and approaches, and mainstreaming innovative ideas and approaches
• Oversee the design and processing of technical assistance (TA) projects to ensure quality, innovation, results orientation, and compliance with ADB’s policies and procedures
• Oversee implementation of high risk, complex or innovative TAs to monitor implementation progress including participation in selected missions and developing effective and efficient approaches and modalities for widespread replication or scaling up
• Lead, identify and anticipate opportunities and problems in cross-sector-thematic issues and provide advice on new or innovative approaches to inform policy discussions
• Lead and manage cross-sector-thematic studies and knowledge products and ensure their proper dissemination
• Ensure effective linkages by providing support to internal and external relationship management, consultation, and coordination with a wide range of stakeholders, including with the Board, Senior Management, SDCC management, and other departments
• Perform the required management and fiduciary responsibilities as Facility Manager for Financing Partnership Facilities, including oversight of fund managers and outreach to operations departments and donors
• Inform and provide recommendations to Director General of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in areas of responsibility
• Lead the day-to-day operations of the cluster including its effective cluster coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments and internal stakeholders, performance management of cluster staff, and management of cluster budget and resource allocation.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Finance, or related fields. University degree in Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Finance, or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
• Minimum of 15 years of practical experience in the relevant sectors and multi-sector/thematic areas covered by the cluster, project processing and administration, at senior levels (e.g. managing teams or leading projects), including international experience in several countries.
• Possesses cumulative knowledge, experience and fundamental understanding of diverse concepts, principles and practices, and able to share knowledge to benefit DMCs, ADB, and the wider international community.
• Has proven management capability and well-established leadership track record, including managing and motivating staff performance and career development in a diverse workforce, as well as establish a constructive work environment to maximize staff engagement and optimize staff potential.
• Act as a mentor to team members by providing guidance and as a coach by developing capabilities and potential of staff.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS 9-10.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.