Intern - Urban and Social Sectors Division, EARD - 2203
Job Vacancy | Friday, July 16, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Review of PRC elderly care projects."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The aging of the population in the PRC is one of the most important demographic challenges facing the country, which has significant health, social, and economic impacts. Traditional family support systems are increasingly unable to meet elderly care needs because of the combined impacts of fast urbanization, internal migration of youth away from rural areas, and the one-child policy. In response to the challenges, the PRC highlighted the creation of a three-tiered elderly care system, with home-based care as the base, community care as the support, and residential care as a supplement.
Since 2013, ADB have provided TAs and loans of over $600 million to support the development of three-tiered elderly care systems in provinces and cities. There is a need to review the on-going elder care projects to summarize the experience and lessons learned to improve the quality and innovation of forthcoming elderly care projects in PRC and other DMCs.
Guided by supervisors, the intern will (i) review the design and implementation of the TAs and Loans in elderly care sector in PRC; (ii) analyze the innovations, challenges, experience, and lessons learned; (iii) suggest how the previous experience can be applied in new elderly care projects in light of the up-to-day elderly care policies and regulations; and (iv) provide inputs to possible knowledge products out of the analysis.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks
• Timing: January 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
• Improved knowledge in design and implementation of new elderly care projects
• Presentation of research work in an ADB-wide forum
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in sociology, public health, urban planning, or other related areas.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Research experience in policy, practice, or new technology in regard to aging and elderly care.
• Working or volunteering experience in elderly care service is a plus.
• Good English communication and writing skills.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).