Intern - Gender Equality Thematic Group - 2208
Job Vacancy | Monday, July 19, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Building Gender Equality into Nature Based Solutions."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Nature-based solutions (NbS) have been identified as a key element to combat the climate crisis and build inclusive societal resilience through nature, particularly in the context of COVID-19 recovery. The need to create decent work and improve human well-being in harmony with nature requires multisectoral approaches that promote inclusion and gender equality. The intern will conduct research and produce a background paper that will examine the following questions:
• What are the gender issues that practitioners and policy makers can and should address through NbS?
• What key opportunities exist to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment when implementing NbS?
• What are some of the best practice examples of gender-responsive NbS in disaster risk reduction, climate change mitigation (i.e. carbon sequestration), food and water security?
As part of the research, the intern will support the convening of an expert group meeting to discuss and evaluate best practices from experts in NbS, including think thanks, MDB colleagues, development partners and women’s organizations. The expert group meeting will exchange best practice and learning about gender-responsive project and policy design in NbS and provide key information to inform the final research paper.
1. Expert group meeting convened
2. Best practice research paper on “Building Gender Equality into Nature Based Solutions”
3. Presentation to ADB staff on research findings
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: January 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
a. The proposed internship research and activities will provide evidence that can be used to inform ADB’s pipeline in support of greater inclusion of gender-responsive approaches in NbS and related policy engagement.
b. Potential gender responsive NbS designs for future ADB projects, particularly in climate change mitigation, agriculture, food security, water and sanitation and disaster risk reduction.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Environmental Studies, Climate Change, International Development, Geography, Biology and/or Gender and Development. Applicants who have completed some gender-related course units are preferred.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
a. Genuine interest in advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment.
b. Experience working in the area of gender and development, environment, or natural resource management.
c. Experience convening and organizing webinars or events such as academic seminars would be an asset.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).