Intern - Transport SG, SDSC - 2209
Job Vacancy | Monday, July 19, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Background: Transport sector greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) are projected to increase significantly in ADB’s DMCs over coming decades, alongside increasing climate and disaster impacts. Aggressive and sustained action is needed to ensure that transport systems provide the ways and means for a resilient and low carbon future.
Reducing GHGs and strengthening climate and disaster resilience in the transport sector requires a systems-wide approach. Due to the interconnected nature of transport and other services, disruption in one location can lead to regional or even global economic impacts. Enhancing the integration and flexibility of transport networks and services can help to ensure DMCs can cope, adapt, and thrive when disruption and change occurs.
Reducing GHG emissions and air pollution, promoting nature-positive solutions and biodiversity considerations, underpinned by technology and automation will allow for more seamless transport experiences and improved wellbeing for humans while delivering positive outcome for nature.
Job Description: Support research on topics relating to Decarbonizing Transport. The primary topics of interest are E-Mobility, and operationalizing Paris Alignment. However, the research may explore a diverse range of cross cutting thematic and sector topics such as clean/renewable energy and circular economy, enabling healthy and active transport choices, applying nature-based solutions and minimizing the destruction of biodiversity and natural resources.
The challenge lies in strengthening processes in planning, design, construction, and operations of transport systems to ensuring the sustainable use of energy and resources, and to meet the ambitious GHG mitigation targets set out in the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change. Regenerative design principles should be considered to limit negative impacts to air, water, and land and restore natural ecosystems.
The study shall be focused on producing practical advice and knowledge to accelerate low-carbon development to meet global climate agreements and boost green economic development. Reducing GHG emissions and air pollution, promoting nature-positive solutions and biodiversity considerations, underpinned by technology and automation will allow for more seamless transport experiences and improved wellbeing for humans while delivering positive outcome for nature.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: January 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
The study outcomes shall contribute to bank-wide efforts in facilitating green growth and recovery, through development of sustainable and regenerative transport investment projects.
1. Report on Decarbonizing Transport in developing country context
2. Presentation and webinar on Decarbonizing Transport in developing country context
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in courses relating to transport planning/economics, engineering, environment; a focus on specific areas such as e-mobility, decarbonizing transport, energy transformations in transport, or climate change and transport would be an advantage.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Experience in relevant topics sustainable transport would be preferred. Knowledge on relevant themes such as climate change (mitigation and adaptation) and environment would be an advantage.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).