Intern - Regional Cooperation and Operations Coordination Div, SERD - 2214
Job Vacancy | Friday, July 16, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Strengthening industrial competitiveness and GVC participation in ASEAN."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
This assignment involves an in-depth assessment of the trends, drivers, and shocks to ASEAN’s industrial competitiveness and GVC participation, with focus on how technology can contribute to driving the region’s competitiveness and GVC participation. The intern will conduct a review of existing studies and reports, collate and analyze related data on ASEAN industrial structure, complexity, productivity, and trade and employ suitable econometric methods to produce an analytical paper that discusses the drivers and experience from shocks. This analysis will also discuss suitable policy considerations, both at national and regional level.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: January 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
• Review of literature on the trends, drivers, lessons and experience from shocks of the ASEAN competitiveness and GVC participation.
• Description of recent developments in ASEAN competitiveness and GVC participation.
• Preparation of a set of indicators to measure (i) development, (ii) competitiveness (iii) productivity, and (iv) depth of ASEAN competitiveness and GVC participation.
• Design and estimation of a suitable statistical model or technique to determine the drivers and role of shocks to ASEAN industrial competitiveness and GVC participation.
• A draft working paper that discusses the trends, drivers, and disruptions to ASEAN industrial competitiveness and GVC participation, related opportunities and challenges, as well as policy considerations.
Presentation of the paper in a SERD seminar.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in economics with emphasis on trade, GVC, or technology.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Strong quantitative, analytical, and conceptual skills in economics;
• Experience in handling and analyzing large data sets on industrial production, trade, and GVC participation;
• Sound knowledge of productivity, competitiveness, and GVC developments and landscape;
• Basic, or ideally sound, knowledge of the drivers of competitiveness and GVC participation;
• Demonstrated expertise in economic research;
• Extensive knowledge of econometric and statistical approaches and high proficiency in statistical and mathematical programming software such as STATA and EVIEWS;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).