Senior Financial Sector Specialist
Job Vacancy | Thursday, July 22, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position is assigned in the Public Management, Financial Sector, and Regional Cooperation Divisionof East Asia Department (EAPF) within ADB’s East Asia Department (EARD). EAPF’s work covers five main areas: public sector management, financial sector development, regional cooperation and integration (RCI), public private partnerships (PPP), and serving as EARD’s focal point on nonsovereign operations (NSOs). EAPF’s public sector management work focuses on fiscal reforms and public financial management, governance, and institutional development in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia. Its financial sector operations cover financial inclusion, financial market infrastructure, infrastructure financing, and green and climate finance. For RCI, EAPF supports Mongolia and the PRC in their regional cooperation initiatives, including their engagement in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and the PRC’s engagement in the Greater Mekong Subregional (GMS) Program. On PPPs, EAPF supports policies, regulations, capacity development, as well as projects and financing. On NSOs, EAPF assists EARD’s collaboration with ADB’s Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD) to promote innovative operations under the One ADB approach.
The Senior Financial Sector Specialist will (i) support the formulation and articulation of financial sector strategies, policies, and operations in Mongolia, the PRC, and relevant regions; (ii) contribute to policy dialogue with client governments and other stakeholders to promote financial sector reforms and development; (iii) lead in identification, development, processing, and implementation of lending programs and projects, guarantees, technical assistance (TA), knowledge solutions, and policy advices to promote financial sector development in Mongolia and the PRC; (iv) lead and support EAPF’s work on other areas, such as public sector management, RCI, PPPs, and joint opportunities with OPPP and PSOD. The incumbent will report to Director, EAPF and supervise national and administrative staff.
- Strategy formulation. Conducts sector and economic work on financial sector covering such areas as green finance, blue finance, climate finance, disaster risk financing, inclusive finance, and financial technology. Contributes to the development of relevant Country Partnership Strategies (CPSs) and Country Operations and Business Plans (COBPs).
- Project identification, preparation, and implementation. Leads and contributes to the identification, processing, and implementation of projects and programs and TAs in the financial and/or other relevant sectors, for example, on green financing, blue financing, climate financing, disaster risk financing, inclusive financing, municipal financing, structured finance, infrastructure financing, digital finance, financial intermediation, and public sector management.
- Work on broad areas. Leads and contributes to EAPF’s work on public sector management, RCI, PPPs, and other emerging areas. Identifies joint opportunities with OPPP and PSOD. Have a strong willingness and ability to learn and expand his/her technical knowledge; and possesses excellent capacity to identify solutions in new and emerging areas.
- Innovation. Adopts new and innovative approaches to strategy, policy, and operational work. Identifies, develops, leads, and contributes to projects and programs that integrate high level technologies, cross cutting themes, and other innovative features. Identifies new opportunities in inclusive finance, infrastructure finance, green financing, climate financing, digital financing, and other relevant areas.
- Coordination. Collaborates with experts in ADB and beyond on financial sector and other development issues. Leads and supports sector and thematic work. Facilitates effective partnerships with development agencies. Develops and maintains effective networks with public and private sectors entities.
- Economic and social analyses. Leads and contributes to data collection, economic and social analyses, and sector analysis. Leads and fosters effective policy dialogues with developing member countries (DMCs) and other stakeholders.
- Teamwork. Be a collaborative, responsive, efficient, and effective team player in leading and contributing to problem solving and meeting the needs of EAPF, EARD, ADB and its DMCs.
- One ADB. Leads, contributes, and effectively collaborates within EARD and other ADB departments and offices. Contributes to achievements of ADB’s Strategy 2030 goals.
- Knowledge. Leads and participates in internal and external knowledge events and forums for advocacy, dissemination, and knowledge generation. Effectively represents ADB. Keeps abreast of latest developments and issues.
- Leadership. Takes initiatives and be effective in identifying and developing opportunities for EAPF. Proactively assesses risks and implement mitigating measures on operations and other work. Exercises leadership and ownership in carrying out work. Guides and supervises reporting staff.
- Responsiveness. Leads and supports other work in EAPF, EARD, and ADB, as needed.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in economics, finance, business administration, or related fields; or University degree and at least 5 years with specialization in the financial sector or public sector management can be considered.
- At least 10 years of years of relevant professional experience in financial sector development or public sector management and in-depth knowledge about financial sector issues.
- Strong operational experience in the full project cycle (i.e. from programming, project processing, project administration, to project completion) in ADB or similar organizations.
- International experience in several countries.
- Willingness to learn and a high degree of responsiveness in meeting the needs of EAPF, EARD, ADB, and the DMCs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong term player.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, strong motivation, and ability to deliver results.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.