Senior Public Management Specialist (Domestic Resource Mobilization)
Job Vacancy | Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Public Management, Financial Sector, and Trade Division (CWPF) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. CWPF is responsible for policy development and dialogue, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the public management, financial sector, and trade sectors.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Public Management Specialist (Domestic Resource Mobilization) will lead in the identification, design, processing, administration, and evaluation of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) to public sector policy and strategies in the Division’s regional developing member countries (DMCs). Engage with DMC governments and other stakeholders on domestic resource mobilization to support fiscal consolidation, inclusive growth, reforms and initiatives, with the objective of ensuring economic soundness and consistency with sector policies and strategies. Ensure compliance with ADB’s policies, operations manual, project administration instructions, and assistance-related documentations. Work closely with internal teams and resource departments, and externally with clients on broad policies and objectives, with supervision for critical tasks. The incumbent will report to the Director of CWPF and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Lead and contribute to project identification, preparation, appraisal, and documentation, on improving domestic resource mobilization in revenue management, public expenditure management, domestic savings, private resource for investment opportunities, ensuring compliance with ADB’s policies, operations manual, project administration instructions, and related documentation.
- Participate in dialogue with government officials and other stakeholders to improve public financial management and enhance government capacity while managing debt and creating more opportunities for private sector investments.
- Conduct economic, social, and sector analyses such as identification and analysis of measures to support fiscal consolidation, improve revenue management and strengthen public expenditure management.
- Ensure sustainability, best practices (including use of technology), safety, and efficiency are realistically incorporated in project design for effective implementation.
- Provide guidance to borrowers/clients, and assist in formulating, planning, and preparing high quality documents related to projects and programs.
- Execute above functions as a Project Team Leader (PTL) or Project Team Member (PTM) for loans and TA projects with high levels of risk and complexity.
- Coordinate with resident missions (RMs) for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of sector policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Address issues raised by direct and indirect stakeholders as well as queries, comments, and suggestions from internal review including from senior management.
- Ensure achievement of intended project outputs and outcomes in a timely manner, ensuring projects and programs comply with policy and document requirements during implementation.
- Participate in sector and thematic networks related to domestic resource mobilization, public finance, governance, and related issued to keep abreast of the latest developments and issues. Serve as a focal point for coordination with other divisions/departments concerning the sector.
- Contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge sharing around domestic resource mobilization issues, including contribution to knowledge solutions.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in economics, finance, or other related fields. University degree and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered
- Minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in domestic resource mobilization and public finance, including international work experience working in several countries.
- Extensive knowledge of domestic resource mobilization and public finance in Asia. Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's public management operations, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Proven experience as team lead/ member for processing or administration of loan and TA projects and holding policy dialogue related to public finance.
- Good understanding and experience of the full project cycle and tasks needed in the preparation of various project modalities including policy-based programs, results based program, sector development programs and investment projects including program identification and conceptualization, analysis of relevant policies, preparing studies, diagnostics, and reports, and coordination with external stakeholders, consultants, and government agencies.
- Good skills and experience in coordinating and working with teams of professionals such as for technical, social and environmental safeguards, economic assessments and procurement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing.
For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5 .
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.