Senior Project Officer (Infrastructure) (2 Positions)
Job Vacancy | Thursday, October 7, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Cambodia.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
1) Multiple positions at various levels may be filled from this vacancy notice.
2) Actual position title and level will be based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience and job scope that will be assigned to the selected candidates.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The positions are assigned in Cambodia Resident Mission (CARM) within the Southeast Asia Regional Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. CARM is responsible for country partnership and strategy, policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Cambodia.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Project Officer (Infrastructure) will support ADB’s Cambodia Resident Mission (CARM) in developing and expanding ADB’s operations in the infrastructure sector with focus on the transport, urban development and related subsectors. With greater delegation of responsibilities to CARM, the position will carry out sector analysis and dialogue, handle project administration and portfolio management, and effectively liaise with government and development partner counterparts in resolving project as well as sector-related issues. The position will require someone with strong analytical skills in the infrastructure sector, diverse and substantial experience in project administration and the ability to support activities relating to medium-term planning, strategy development, sector diagnostics, knowledge development and participation in ADB thematic working groups. The incumbent will report to the Country Director, Cambodia Resident Mission and/or designated International Staff and may supervise one or more Administrative Staff.
• Conducts dialogue with the Government on infrastructure policy, regulatory and institutional reforms; and in monitoring recent developments on policy, legal, regulatory and institutional developments.
• Functions as co-mission leader with HQ staff for the design and implementation of infrastructure projects as needed.
• Reviews executing agency’s (EAs’) submission of project (loans, technical assistance [TAs] and grants) documents and ensures compliance with ADB guidelines and policies for projects administered by CARM.
• Keeps a close working relationship with counterparts in government, development partners and ADB HQ to ensure timely implementation and completion of infrastructure projects managed by CARM.
• For assigned infrastructure projects, prepares annual mission plans, requirements that need staff input, leads review missions, prepares annual contract awards and disbursement projections and monitors progress on implementation of assigned projects.
• Articulates Environment, Safeguard and Governance issues in the sector and country and develops actions to address these in consultation with PAU head, CD and Sector Directors.
• Processes requests for approval of changes in project scope and implementation arrangements, reallocation of TA/loan proceeds, change of loan financing percentages and extension of project closing dates.
• Reviews and updates individual Project Performance Reports (PPRs) and Technical Assistance Project Reports (TPRs) and monitors compliance with loan covenants and action plans and submission of Audit Reports and Project Accounts required by CARM, Southeast Asia Department (SERD) and by other departments/offices concerned, ensuring high quality output and timely submission.
• Reviews and prepares briefing notes, presentation materials and regular reports required by CARM including project completion report (PCR)/technical assistance completion report (TCR), performance status of ongoing loan/grant/TA projects, achieving intended outputs/goals, and identifies problems encountered especially for "At Risk" projects.
• Reviews performance validation process of Projects under the e-Operations database system.
• In close coordination with the lead CARM Senior Project Officers, undertakes sector assessments/planning and studies pertaining to key infrastructure sectors (transport, energy, urban development), works on sector knowledge generated through field operations,
• Maintains greater ADB visibility and close liaison and dialogue with relevant executing/implementing agencies, development partners, civil society organizations and headquarter staff.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering; preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent.
• At least 8 years of experience in one or more of the following: project administration/ coordination, portfolio management, and project processing; and at least 4 years of supervisory experience.
• Former work experience and established relationships with key government agencies and ADB’s clients in Cambodia will be an advantage.
• Prior experience with multilateral or bilateral donors that have lending programs in Cambodia will also be an advantage.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills in infrastructure related areas.
• Substantial knowledge and experience of project processing, project administration, data management and reporting, and general administration, including safeguards compliance.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and database management methods.
• Familiarity with project administration of non-sovereign operations will be an advantage in addition to profound knowledge of project administration of sovereign operations.
• High level of proficiency in use of the Internet and standard computer applications.
• Excellent spoken and written English capability that is demonstrated in report writing. Excellent spoken and written Khmer.
• Sound knowledge of the Cambodian government’s administrative and procurement procedures.
• Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement, financial management and disbursement processes.
• Ability to conduct research, analyze and check data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies, develop budgets, statistical calculations, and basic financial calculations.
• Ability to mentor Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate preparation of work plan, delivery of tasks and quality review.
• Ability to interact in a professional manner and communicate effectively with internal and external clients of the ADB.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff 3 and 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.