Job Vacancy | Monday, November 15, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Regional Cooperation and Operations Coordination Division (SARC) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SARC is responsible for (i) coordinating regional cooperation and integration (RCI) operations in SARD; (ii) delivering operationally-relevant analytical studies on relevant and contemporary development issues in SARD countries1; (iii) planning, preparing, and implementing technical assistance projects and selected projects on RCI and other multi-sector thematic areas, such as economic corridor development, trade facilitation, and logistics; (iv) coordinating knowledge management in SARD; (v) serving as focal point for ADB operations in Maldives; and (vi) supporting headquarters—resident mission (RM) liaison for SARD RMs.
 SARD countries include Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.Job Purpose
The Senior Economist leads the formulation and articulation of operationally relevant analytical studies on relevant and contemporary development issues in SARD countries, and the regular economics and operations coordination work. The position will lead the identification, development, processing, implementation and administration of loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, provide relevant stakeholders with necessary technical support and knowledge for projects. The Senior Economist will lead the economics work in Maldives and contribute to the knowledge work for the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program. The incumbent will report to the Director of SARC and may supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
- Leads the conduct of operationally relevant analytical studies for SARD countries.
- Leads the identification, design, processing and administration of regional technical assistance (RETA) projects by undertaking activities, including gathering inputs from regional stakeholders, organizing sector working group meetings, conducting background research, drafting TA papers, monitoring projects, etc.
- Leads economics work for Maldives.
- Leads and support the preparation of studies related to SASEC program.
- Maintains strategic partnership with external partners for knowledge and project opportunities. Respond to external inquiries as needed.
- Participates in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on regional cooperation and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Leads, supervises, and supports reporting staff, including their performance and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree, or equivalent, in development studies, economics, political science, public policy, public administration, or related fields; University degree and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in economics work, including international work experience;
• Knowledge of development issues in Asia. Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area;
• Good understanding and experience in the overall tasks needed in the preparation of investment projects, including project identification and conceptualization, analysis of relevant policies, preparing studies and reports, and coordination with external stakeholders, consultants, and government agencies;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
• Good skills and experience in coordinating and working with teams of professionals such as for technical, social, and environmental safeguards, economic assessments, procurement, etc. ;
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.