Intern - Statistics and Data Innovation Unit - 2223
Job Vacancy | Wednesday, December 1, 2021
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Analyzing the Effect of Digital Commerce Policies on Global Trade."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Statistics and Data Innovation Unit (SDI Unit) of the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD) seeks to engage a keen researcher to carry out research on the effect of digital commerce policies on global trade. Specifically, Automatic Identification System (AIS) data (see, for example, marketplace.officialstatistics.org/ais-data) and digital commerce data (see, for example, globaltradealert.org/digital_policy), among other potentially relevant data sources, are targeted to be exploited to assess the impact of state interventions affecting digital commerce on trade volumes and velocities between countries/regions over time.
The intern will contribute to the development of cutting-edge economic research in the field of international trade in the AsiaPacific Region based on innovative data sources and statistical methods. The intern is also expected to assist the ERCD-SDI team in producing analytical reports for internal and external clients.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Research project approved by supervisors.
- Seminar / conference presentation(s) of research project.
- Draft working paper / technical report.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Economics or a related field, with research background in international (macro-) economics and/or econometrics.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
The position requires a unique combination of experience in international trade, impact assessments, geospatial / spatial-temporal data, and econometrics. In particular, the consultant should have:
- Significant expertise in applied advanced analytical / econometric techniques to model / analyze geospatial / spatial-temporal data.
- High proficiency in applied statistical and programming software (MATLAB, R, and/or Python).
- Substantial knowledge in theory on international trade.
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English.
- Profound skills in technical report writing and preparation of publications/working papers.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).